[chirp_users] chirp on CentOS 7

Tracy Reed
Sun Jun 30 23:30:33 PDT 2019

I've had chirp running previously but that was a couple of years ago and
I think I had CentOS 6 then. When I download the latest version OR run
the version from the epel repo I get the following error:

$ chirpw
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/chirpw", line 24, in <module>
    from chirp.drivers import *
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/chirp/drivers/idrp.py", line 16, in <module>
    import serial
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/serial-0.0.97-py2.7.egg/serial/__init__.py", line 10, in <module>
    from . import utilities, abc, model, marshal, errors, properties, meta, hooks, test, request
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/serial-0.0.97-py2.7.egg/serial/model.py", line 1291
    exec(source, namespace)
SyntaxError: unqualified exec is not allowed in function 'from_meta' it contains a nested function with free variables

I'm running the python 2.7.5 which came with CentOS 7.

I've googled this and can't find anything related to chirp. There are
some who claim it's a python bug but that seems unlikely as this is a
very well used and tested version of python. Any ideas?

I'm looking forward to getting my FT-60 which somehow lost all of its
memory reloaded with my repeaters.

Thanks!

--
Tracy Reed