[chirp_users] UV-5R programming

Jim Unroe
Fri Jun 28 17:54:40 PDT 2019

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 8:14 PM John Ulrich <shamrockrabbit at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I haven’t used my UV-5R or the old PC used for it’s programming in some time.  I decided to download CHIRP to my Windows 10 PC and bring the UV-5R back to life.   After connection, CHIRP asks you to fill in the empty box with a port number.  I thought it would be something like Com3 or Com4.  Nope.  I get error message 3, saying no such location.
> I’m sure this is a newbie issue but I can’t find a solution.  Anything to do with Windows 10?
>
> Thanks,
> John W6LRM

You don't have a properly working programming cable hooked up. The
setup is probably lacking a compatible device driver. It is the chip
in the programming cable paired with the device driver installed in
Windows that creates the virtual COM port that CHIRP need to have
available to be able to program your radio.

If your programming cable was manufactured with a Prolific type UART
chip, then you should take time to read this page.

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php