[chirp_users] Transmit UV5r to FRS

benton at siletzbay.com
Fri Jun 21 18:41:41 PDT 2019

On 2019-06-21 07:19, Tom Consodine, ND5Y via chirp_users wrote:

>> 97.403 only applies to amateur radio and specifically says:
>> https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?&mc=true&node=se47.5.97_1403&rgn=div8
>> "No provision of these rules prevents the use by an amateur station of
>> any means of radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential
>> communication needs in connection with the immediate safety of human
>> life and immediate protection of property when normal communication
>> systems are not available."
>>
>> Notice how it says "an amateur station". It does not say "any person" or
>> "any unlicensed person can transmit on any frequency they want with
>> non-FCC approved equipment".
>>
>> Tom ND5Y

Yeah, I assumed the person holding the Part-97 radio would be a licensed
amateur.  I was just trying to counter-point the folks making the
*absolute* assertion that it's never legal.  I thought my example
clarified that as an ARO, I might have a legitimate use for the mode.

Thank-you for the more complete answer.

Hope you're having a stellar solstice.

Benton 21jun19
--