[chirp_users] UV5R "Variant" Programming Question

N8GLS
Fri Jun 21 11:54:06 PDT 2019

Jim,

I'll probably pass on requesting a fix unless I find something else of more significance.  Chirp seems to otherwise work fine so will just keep using it as-is.  I really appreciate the UV-5R background, at least now I'm not thinking I've gone nuts not being able to figure this "simple" radio out.  I almost tried the BF-F8HP as it looked to be more of what this may be but didn’t want to take any chances without having some other proof it would work.

Thanks again to you and all others who offered some support !!

73, Brad N8GLS

-----Original Message-----
From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com <chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com> On Behalf Of Jim Unroe
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 2:01 PM
To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] UV5R "Variant" Programming Question

On Fri, Jun 21, 2019 at 1:24 PM N8GLS <n8gls at arrl.net> wrote:

> Bought this UV5R (UV5R7W) at the Hamvention this past May.  So, aside from this HT having a receiver front end that’s susceptible to harmonics from DC to Daylight (yes have played with the squelch, wish it had a harmonic elimination button…hi hi), programming with Chirp is relatively easy.  However, the Chirp programmer only seems to support a High or Low power level setting but this radio has three, High (7w or 8w depending on what document your looking at), Mid (4w or 5w), and Low (1w).  In researching the UV5R I find this radio is steeped in a hodge-podge of variations, many un-documented, that seem to make it impossible to determine what I have.  So, what I know is this is a UV5R7W, the 7w (or is it 8 ??) with three power levels High, Mid, Low.  The firmware (holding #3 while powering on) is BFB298, Chirp Daily in “Other Settings” is returning for Firmware Msg 1, HN5RV01, and 1 for Firmware Msg 2.  Don’t understand why the two firmware numbers but makes me question which witch is which, especially when I search and find different spec’s and documentation for each.

The firmware version displayed when powering the radio on with the [3] key pressed has been of no values since the introduction of firmware version BFB299 back in 2013. Since then, most UV-5R like radios masquerade as BFB297 during the power-on test regardless of the "real"
firmware version. Prior to the release of BFB299, the VHF/UHF models had a version that ended in an odd number (for example, BFB295) and the VHF/220 models had a version that ended in an even number (for example, BFB296). Apparently Baofeng no longer honors this tradition.

Unfortunately Baofeng (the radio manufacturer in China) seems to be putting HN5RV01 in everything making. This makes it difficult for CHIRP to detect which radio model is actually present.

> So, is the UV5R model in Chirp the one to use ??  I think there is a VP programmer on the CD that came with the radio, is that a better choice, although there are a bunch of programs on that CD that appear to me to have nothing to do with this particular model….again a mystery with the lack of any supporting documentation, not even a readme.

Typically the radios with 2 power levels use Baofeng/UV-5R as the Vendor/Model selection. Radios with 3 power levels use Baofeng/BF-F8HP as the Vendor/Model selection. Unfortunately that won't work in your case because the HN5RV01 firmware version tells CHIRP that you have a radio with 2 power levels.

You could enable "Enable Developer Functions" and use the "Browser" to go in and edit the TX power level. I believe it should be...

0 = Low
1 = Mid
2 = High

Another possibility would be to open an issue, explain the problem, and then see if someone is interested in taking on the task to directly support the few radios with this issue.