[chirp_users] UV5R "Variant" Programming Question

N8GLS
Fri Jun 21 10:22:11 PDT 2019

Bought this UV5R (UV5R7W) at the Hamvention this past May.  So, aside from
this HT having a receiver front end that's susceptible to harmonics from DC
to Daylight (yes have played with the squelch, wish it had a harmonic
elimination button.hi hi), programming with Chirp is relatively easy.
However, the Chirp programmer only seems to support a High or Low power
level setting but this radio has three, High (7w or 8w depending on what
document your looking at), Mid (4w or 5w), and Low (1w).  In researching the
UV5R I find this radio is steeped in a hodge-podge of variations, many
un-documented, that seem to make it impossible to determine what I have.
So, what I know is this is a UV5R7W, the 7w (or is it 8 ??) with three power
levels High, Mid, Low.  The firmware (holding #3 while powering on) is
BFB298, Chirp Daily in "Other Settings" is returning for Firmware Msg 1,
HN5RV01, and 1 for Firmware Msg 2.  Don't understand why the two firmware
numbers but makes me question which witch is which, especially when I search
and find different spec's and documentation for each.

So, is the UV5R model in Chirp the one to use ??  I think there is a VP
programmer on the CD that came with the radio, is that a better choice,
although there are a bunch of programs on that CD that appear to me to have
nothing to do with this particular model..again a mystery with the lack of
any supporting documentation, not even a readme.

Any advice or sharing of knowledge would be appreciated !!  Started
searching the archives but thought since this radio was relatively new (I
assume anyways) that someone else may have already been down this path.  I
know you get what you pay for, just want to give this a fair shot before
repurposing this to be a service band and NWS monitor.

Thanks,

73 de Brad, N8GLS