[chirp_users] Transmit UV5r to FRS

benton at siletzbay.com
Thu Jun 20 18:15:54 PDT 2019

On 2019-06-20 13:42, John Wuest wrote:

> Using your UV-5R on FRS frequencies will be a violation of Federal Law. That radio is not, nor can not be, type accepted for that service.

There's always 97.403, which allow using "any means of
radiocommunication at its disposal to provide essential communication
needs in connection with the immediate safety of human life and
immediate protection of property when normal communication systems are
not available."  97.405 lays out another allowed circumstance.

The OP, particularly being Mormon, I assumed might be talking about
using the radios in an 'emergency' context.

In my local CERT group, I would guess about 20% of members are AROs.  I
could easily imagine a context where a strike team is assigned an FRS
frequency for inter-team comms and a dual-mode station stands by to
relay information to the EOC over Amateur Radio.  If that's me, holding
a Part-97 radio that can tx/rx on FRS,  I'm okay with that.

A downside with this plan is that one can't practice.  Drills and
exercises aren't a legitimate emergency.

Benton 20jun19
--
NX7O
benton at siletzbay.com