[chirp_users] Error setting memory - out of supported range [Baofeng]

Adam Nielsen
Tue Jul 9 07:42:47 PDT 2019

Hi all,

I'm new to Chirp and testing it with a Baofeng F8+III (supposedly an
update on the UV-5R).  I have successfully downloaded all the
programmed frequencies (as both BF-F8HP and UV-5R models).  I named
some of the channels and uploaded them, and now the radio shows the
names I entered instead of the frequencies - great!

However I am unable to name some of the channels as I get an error
when I attempt to do so:

  Error setting memory: Tx freq 0.000500 is out of supported range

When I programmed in this frequency, I wanted to disable transmission
so that I didn't accidentally transmit by mistake.  I found some
instructions online that suggested setting the split such that the
transmission frequency ends up in a band that the radio cannot transmit
on, and this indeed works - should I try to transmit the radio beeps
with an error (if beeps are enabled) and no transmission occurs.

I have now successfully downloaded all my programmed channels into
Chirp, including those with invalid splits, and I can upload them back
to the device as well, with the invalid splits being left unchanged.
However it won't let me assign names to the channels having these out
of range splits because the above error comes up.

Is there any way I can tell Chirp that this isn't an error, and the
frequency is intentionally out of range to prevent accidental
transmission, and to accept the name of the channel I am trying to set?

Many thanks,
Adam.