[chirp_users] KT7900D/QB25 driver for macOS 10.13 (Mojave)?

Christopher Knowles
Sun Jan 20 03:49:58 PST 2019

Go to Miklor.com.  There they explain that most cables have counterfeit
Prolific chips.  When Windows updates itself automatically, it installs
the latest Prolific driver. That one does not work with counterfeits.
You have to roll the driver back to a previous version.  Miklor.com not
only provides a link to download that driver but it tells you how to
tell your computer how not to update it in the future.  Chris Knowles, N1CAK

On 1/20/2019 3:04 AM, Patty Winter via chirp_users wrote:

> I was recently given a Radioddity QB25, which is also a QYT KT7900D.
> It came with a programming cable. I got CHIRP up and running on my
> MacBook Air, and followed the steps to turn off the radio, connect the
> cable, and turn the radio back on. But there is no USB port in the
> ports list in CHIRP, and when I try the default Bluetooth port, I get
> a message that the radio is not in clone mode.
>
> I suspect a driver issue. I tried to search the archives of this
> mailing list and found some information about macOS drivers for
> various cables (including some built-in Apple drivers), but didn't see
> anything specifically about the cable that's supplied by Radioddity.
> Their website only has Windows driver software. (They say the cable
> itself works with Windows 7 without a driver but you need a driver for
> Windows 10.) I tried the generic driver linked from the CHIRP MacOS
> Tips page, but that didn't work. (Was I supposed to have restarted the
> MacBook? I only quit and relaunched CHIRP.)
>
> There are other macOS drivers listed on that page, but without knowing
> what kind of cable/chip Radioddity supplies, I don't know which driver
> to look for. Does anyone here happen to know what's in the QB25 cable
> and which driver works with it? I could try contacting Radioddity, but
> they appear to know nothing about Macs and might not give me
> sufficient information.
>

> Thanks/73,
> Patty N6BIS

Christopher Allan Knowles, MPA
P.O. Box 4632
Vineyard Haven, MA  02568

Website:  http://www.tiac.net/~cknowles/

Please find my LinkedIn profile at:
https://www.linkedin.com/in/chris-knowles-99aba51a/

Staff Sergeant, United States Air Force, 1970 - 1974

Call Sign:  N1CAK - Amateur Extra Class
	    Accredited Volunteer Examiner (VE)