[chirp_users] Tytera TH-9800 picture

Glenn At Home
Mon Jan 14 20:49:58 PST 2019

Hi Dennis,
I would think that Deaf folks could use some of the iPhone apps that convert speech to text, for listening to a HAM radio.  I put one on my phone for a Deaf client with low vision so we could communicate.
But being adapted to Blindness, I would say it would be worse to lose your hearing.
This list has seen one of a few of my frustrations, that being when companies ignore the needs of a portion of its customers.
Honestly, it would add very little to products to put speech output on them, and Braille too.
But I do build computers, and walk and run independently, and have a full-time job, and do my own home maintenance.  Sometimes I might have to ask someone the color of a wire for example, but for the most part, it is not a big deal.
I think that I'm in better shape than most people my age because I walk a lot.
For more information on Blindness, check out:
http://www.nfb.org/
Thanks.

Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: Dennis Wage
To: Discussion of CHIRP
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2019 9:45 PM
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tytera TH-9800 picture

Hi Glenn, this is totally off topic but I have thought about this for years.

I am a professional musician. And I often wondered if I was going to lose hearing or sight and could choose, which would I prefer. And even though I love music, I think I'd rather lose my hearing. You can do 90% of the things you did before you lost your ears.

To say the least you have many hurdles to jump as a ham, but at least you can hear the radio and communicate.

Are there any completely deaf Hams? Is there technology for this?

Dennis M. Wage (W9BOQ)

245 Corum Hill Road

Castalian Springs, TN 37031

(615) 310-4242 Cell