[chirp_users] Problem with CHIRP under Ubuntu Linux

Aubrey Turner
Sun Jan 13 09:45:25 PST 2019

The vast majority of radios just use serial protocol.  The chip in the
cable just converts from USB to the older serial protocols.  I have a
multi-radio USB cable that has different tips for different radios.  It
will work across the Baofeng, Wouxun, and Yaesu radios that I have.

The drivers in the OS make the USB chip look like a standard serial port
and CHIRP interfaces with that.

As to this issue...  if you don't see the cable in Ubuntu using 'lsusb'
after plugging it in, then you have a potential bad cable.  You might
try comparing the output of lsusb from before and after plugging in the
cable to see if it's recognized and, if so, what the Chromebook is
seeing it as (the USB ID is what it uses to determine which driver to load).