[chirp_users] Error Programming Kenwood TM281

Steve Thomas
Sun Feb 24 18:00:17 PST 2019

I am trying to program my Kenwood TM281 for the first time. I'm using
Windows 10.  I previously ran Chirp to program a Wouxon hand held and it
worked fine with that cable.

I have a Prolific cable I got from BlueMax49ers.   The instructions said
it was a genuine Prolific chip and to use the latest drivers.  So I
checked and it is using the latest drivers (3.8.28.0).  When I started
Chirp, I plugged in the radio, and selected "Download from Radio".   It
gave me a dialog with Com3 preselected, and I selected Kenwood and
TM281. When I clicked OK in the dialog, I get this message:

_*An ERROR Has Occurred*__*
*__*could not open port COM4: [Error 5] Access is denied.*_

I tried Com3, and got the same error.

_*An ERROR Has Occurred*__*
*__*could not open port COM3: [Error2] The System Cannot find The File
specified.*_

(this may be the original error, I don't know. I changed the com port to
Com4 before writing down what the original error was when it originally
went to Com3)
**_**_

I looked into Device Manager, and under Ports (Com and LPT) It says the
Prolific USB to Serial Comm Port (Com4)

I looked at the Properties and it says this:

Does this sound familiar?

Steve