[chirp_users] Chirp under Linux

D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
Sun Dec 22 22:47:25 PST 2019

Phil,

Someone gave you this command, but they forgot to start it with "sudo" and
if you didn't use sudo the command will not work.

sudo chmod 777 /dev/ttyUSB0

Check the ownership of this:

ls -l  /dev/ttyUSB0

This will list the owners of /dev/ttyUSB0.

See if you're in the group that is listed.

Enter this command:

groups

It will return the groups your a member of.  You have to belong to the
group that is listed when you gave the command:  ls -l  /dev/ttyUSB0

If you disconnect the USB cable then reconnect it. You can confirm the
device name by this command:

sudo dmesg | tail

You should see lines that says "new device" and it will give the address of
the new device, that's the device CHIRP needs to use in order to work .

Try that,
73

David N1EA