[chirp_users] Chirp under Linux

Jim Unroe
Sun Dec 8 09:21:08 PST 2019

Hi Dennis,

On Sun, Dec 8, 2019 at 9:47 AM Dennis Wage <dwage at dwage.com> wrote:

> As far as I know, and please someone back me up on this.
> VOLUME level on ANY radio does nothing during data transfers.
> Dennis M. Wage (W9BOQ)

It shouldn't matter. I've programmed lot of different radio models
from several different radio vendors and routinely only turn the
volume knob just far enough to power on the radio being cloned. In
over 7 years of doing it like this, I have never had a data transfer
issue that was determined to be related to the position of the volume
knob.

That being said, I have had exchanges with a few owners of Chinese
designed radios that have claimed that they can, on demand, reproduce
a data transfer failure by turning the volume knob to it lowest volume
position and restore to successful data transfers by turning the
volume up to its highest volume position. It doesn't make sense that
it would be a change in "volume" that would affect the data transfer.
Rather there must be something in the design of the radio or something
in the user's environment that allows some kind of "interference" to
be introduced into the digital signal during the data transfer and
that interference can somehow be reduced or made worse by the position
of the volume knob.

Since the position of the volume knob should not make a difference to
the cloning process, then it shouldn't matter what the position of the
knob is. If someone feels that they have more success with the volume
turned all the way up, so be it. I will continue to keep mine set to
minimum.