[chirp_users] MDF-A and B

Jardy jardy72 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 1 11:29:05 PDT 2019


If the scan stops on an active channel, the other vfo won’t change to match. Things will very rapidly get out of sync. Trust me, you will learn very rapidly which frequency goes with each repeater, or what name goes with what frequency , etc. I would just set up your radio with the preference of name, frequency, or channel on each vfo and just leave it at that. 

Jardy Dawson WA7JRD
Message sent through sub space hailing frequencies using the Universal Translator. 


> On Apr 1, 2019, at 07:09, Christopher Knowles <cknowles at tiac.net> wrote:
> 
> You say, "don't use both a and b to monitor 1 channel".  I assume that means that if I display the name on the top line (a) and the frequency on the bottom line (b), I can only listen to one channel.  How about this.  Lets say lines 1 and 2 on CHIRP are set to monitor repeaters x and y in Falmouth.  It is possible to program CHIRP to scan only certain of the potential 128 channels.  If I set up the CHIRP spreadsheet so that the scan only looks at lines 1 and 2, it should simply alternate between the two repeaters.  And the two-line display would simply bounce back and forth between repeater x and repeater y.  Would that work?  Chris Knowles
> 
>> On 4/1/2019 9:41 AM, Jardy via chirp_users wrote:
>> Use 2 radios, or don’t use both a and b to monitor 1 channel.       After a while, you should be able to memorize which is which. On channels I use quite frequently, I name it the frequency. On less used channels, I name it either the call sign of the owner or the location of the repeater. After a while, you won’t need to use both. 
>> 
>> Jardy Dawson WA7JRD
>> Message sent through sub space hailing frequencies using the Universal Translator. 
>> 
>> 
>> On Apr 1, 2019, at 04:17, Christopher Knowles <cknowles at tiac.net> wrote:
>> 
>>> I've been using Baofengs for a year now.  I have a UV-5RD+, a BF-F9 V2+, and a UV-XR.  Since I live on an island in the Atlantic, and my contact with North America is through two repeaters on Cape Cod, I love the dual watch feature.  If I program the radio to display the name on the first line and the frequency on the second line, how would I monitor two repeaters and exactly what buttons would I have to push to make that happen?  Chris Knowles
>>> 
>>>>  When I want names, I do go to 21, not 22. Hit menu again, that allows for adjustment from freq, channel, name. I then select which of the three I want, then hit menu again to confirm, done. If you’ve installed names for all your frequencies, that process should do it for you.
>>>> 
>>>> Second, I don’t know if you are aware of this tid-bit of info or not but, if you do the process I just outlined and, you actually get names, there’s a simple way to also provide the                 frequency for that name, on the screen too.
>>>> 
>>>> First, make sure your up arrow is on the top row. Then, select menu & 21 “names”. Then press menu again to confirm. Done.
>>>> 
>>>> Now, push your “A-B” button. Now the arrow is on the bottom row. If you look to the right of the upper row, you’ll see what channel  number you have selected while you selected “names”.
>>>> 
>>>> Your arrow is presently on the bottom so, press the VFO button to select “channel mode”. Now, using the key board, press in the three numbers that you see to the right of the name you selected. When that comes up, you’ll see what’s selected, either the channel or the frequency for the numbers to match the ones above. Now you have the name, and the frequency of one particular channel, on the screen at the same time.
>>>> Scott
>>>> 
>>>> Sent from Windows Mail
>>>> 
>>>> From: D.J.J. Ring, Jr.
>>>> Sent: ‎Sunday‎, ‎March‎ ‎31‎, ‎2019 ‎9‎:‎47‎ ‎PM
>>>> To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>> Cc: Jardy Dawson
>>>> 
>>>> It sounds like you have done your work with CHIRP fine.  
>>>> 
>>>> Consult your owner's manual and find the section about displaying either 1)channel number,  2) frequency, or 3) channel name.
>>>> 
>>>> If you download from radio to CHIRP and see the names, they are there.
>>>> 
>>>> Just find the owner's manual. It will tell you,
>>>> 
>>>> 73
>>>> 
>>>> David
>>>> N1EA 
>>>> 
>>>>> On Sun, Mar 31, 2019, 23:28 James Corbin <jamescorbinsd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>> I do. When I clone to my computer all of the names are shown. For some reason when I import back to the radio, only the frequency shows. No name. Not sure what step I am missing. 
>>>>> 
>>>>>> On Sun, Mar 31, 2019 at 20:25 Jardy via chirp_users <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> wrote:
>>>>>> Do you have names entered for those channels?
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> Jardy Dawson WA7JRD
>>>>>> Message sent through sub space hailing frequencies using the Universal Translator. 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> On Mar 31, 2019, at 20:17, James Corbin <jamescorbinsd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>> 
>>>>>> How do I switch my Baofeng PC03 from frequency to name? When I go to 21 and 22 for the name, it still only shows frequencies. 
>>>>>> -- 
>>>>>> James Corbin
>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>> chirp_users mailing list
>>>>>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>>>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>>>>>> This message was sent to Jardy at jardy72 at yahoo.com
>>>>>> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>>> chirp_users mailing list
>>>>>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>>>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>>>>>> This message was sent to James at jamescorbinsd at gmail.com
>>>>>> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>>> -- 
>>>>> James Corbin
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> chirp_users mailing list
>>>>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>>>>> This message was sent to D.J.J. Ring, Jr. at n1ea at arrl.net
>>>>> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> chirp_users mailing list
>>>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>>>> This message was sent to Christopher Knowles at cknowles at tiac.net
>>>> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>> -- 
>>> Christopher Allan Knowles, MPA
>>> P.O. Box 4632
>>> Vineyard Haven, MA  02568
>>> 
>>> Website:  http://www.tiac.net/~cknowles/
>>> 
>>> Please find my LinkedIn profile at:
>>> https://www.linkedin.com/in/chris-knowles-99aba51a/
>>> 
>>> Staff Sergeant, United States Air Force, 1970 - 1974
>>> 
>>> Call Sign:  N1CAK - Amateur Extra Class
>>> 	    Accredited Volunteer Examiner (VE)
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> chirp_users mailing list
>>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>>> This message was sent to Jardy at jardy72 at yahoo.com
>>> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
>> 
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> chirp_users mailing list
>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>> This message was sent to Christopher Knowles at cknowles at tiac.net
>> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
> -- 
> Christopher Allan Knowles, MPA
> P.O. Box 4632
> Vineyard Haven, MA  02568
> 
> Website:  http://www.tiac.net/~cknowles/
> 
> Please find my LinkedIn profile at:
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/chris-knowles-99aba51a/
> 
> Staff Sergeant, United States Air Force, 1970 - 1974
> 
> Call Sign:  N1CAK - Amateur Extra Class
> 	    Accredited Volunteer Examiner (VE)
> _______________________________________________
> chirp_users mailing list
> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
> This message was sent to Jardy at jardy72 at yahoo.com
> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_users/attachments/20190401/bc0e83c3/attachment-0002.html 


More information about the chirp_users mailing list