[chirp_users] Programming Yaesu Radios using CHIRP

Larry Lovell
Tue Apr 2 13:40:25 PDT 2019

I wish to thank all of you for your findings on the Yaesu radios.
I am giving a presentation on CHIRP to our local (Eastern Idaho) HAMs
tonight.
If you are interested, the PDF of my presentation is located at:
http://www.qrvtronics.com/CatHAM_Radio/files/UsingCHIRPorOtherSoftware.pdf

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 10:36 PM <chirp.cordless at xoxy.net> wrote:

> Well there's some truth there, but what truth I'm aware
> of should not scare anyone off from using chirp with Yaesus.
>
> Back in early 2014 I was doing some chirp code development
> on FT-60s, fixing some bugs and with the eventual goal of
> adding "Settings" control. Someone else has since done that.
>
> Part of that process is mapping the memory by twiddling bits
> in the image, uploading to the radio, and seeing through the
> radio's button interface what changed. It went pretty smoothly
> for a while, then I managed to brick *TWO* FT-60s. One of
> which was repaired by sending it to the factory to replace
> an eprom.
>
> I'm not going to add any further detail here, my investigation
> was pretty thoroughly documented in a thread on the chirp_devel
> mail list with subject "How to brick an FT-60" starting 3/22/14.
> See also Bug #1547: [FT-60] Chirp should check parity on download.
>
> But normal use of chirp to program radios doesn't do this. The
> user interface only lets you make limited, well understood
> changes to the radio image bitmap. I still do that with mine.
>
> -dan
>
> > Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2019 22:05:06 -0600
> > From: Larry Lovell <larry.lovell76 at gmail.com>
> > Subject: [chirp_users] Programming Yaesu Radios using CHIRP
> > To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
> >
> > Has anyone had a problem programming a Yaesu radio with CHIRP?
> > Someone mentioned that their Yaesu was damaged and had to be sent to the
> > factory because CHIRP had overwritten some code controlling the
> processor.
> > It also had to be re-flashed.
> > Since I don't fully understand how CHIRP works this doesn't make sense to
> > me, but knowing manufacturing companies, they may share Channel Memory
> with
> > processor memory and not think much about it.
> > Thanks for your information.

Larry Lovell
73's N7RGW
http://QRVTronics.com <http://qrvtronics.com>