[chirp_users] Decoding BaoFeng 6+Power-On Message ?

Jim Unroe
Sun Sep 23 15:46:58 PDT 2018

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 4:24 PM, Peter <ptlambert at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Some BaoFeng radios include a "6+Power-On Message" which can be
> displayed by holding down the 6 key while powering on the radio. These
> message strings are stored in "6+Power-On Message" lines 1 & 2 as
> displayed by CHIRP in "Settings" > "Other Settings".
>
> Line 1 of the "6+Power-On Message" is apparently included (in
> parentheses) in the filenames of some of the CHIRP recovery images
> maintained at Jim's site, here:
>
> http://kc9hi.dyndns.org/uv5r/programming/CHIRPrecovery/
>
> For example, "N82-33 US2S35(150602N)(factory).img" includes "(150602N)"
> in the filename.

I started including this "date" in the file name when I realized that
in some cases there were different "dates" associated to the same
firmware version. I always recommend using the matching "date" when
both are available.

>  I believe this image applies to the BaoFeng UV-82HP,
> and one of these units I own did include "150602N" in line 1 of the
> "6+Power-On Message".  I say "did" because apparently this string is
> cleared by resetting the radio to factory defaults via MENU > 40 > RESET
>  > ALL.

I don't think this is true. The [6] key + power-on messages are stored
in "aux" memory. I have never seen a "RESET" affect anything "aux"
memory (welcome message, 6+power-on message, band limits, etc.).

They will only be blank if they came from the factory that way or
someone uploaded a CHIRP image where they were set to be blank.

> Anyway, these strings look suspiciously like manufacturing date codes.
> For example, 150602N would decode to 2015-06-02, which is just a few
> months before the "Last modified" file date of 12-Oct-2015 (as displayed
> in the CHIRP recovery image listing in the web browser).

Yes they do. I've always considered them as being some sort of date
code ever since I got my first UV-5R back in early 2012.

> As far as I can tell, for *all* of the files in the CHIRP recovery
> images directory which include such a string , that string decodes to a
> date that is a few days to a few months prior to the "Last modified"
> date.  And in no case does any such string decode to a date that is
> later than the "Last modified" date.
>
> Can anyone confirm that these strings do indeed represent manufacturing
> date codes?

Yes. BaoFeng (the radio manufacturer in China) could.

> Also, does anyone have a radio that still displays this "6+Power-On
> Message" after resetting the radio to factory defaults?

Every one of mine. Just to be sure, I just performed firmware RESET my
UV-82 and the 6+Power-On message was not affected.