[chirp_users] cloning cable wiring diagram

Jim Unroe
Sun Sep 16 09:07:36 PDT 2018

On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 4:38 PM, Peter <ptlambert at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Yes, you would want to clone between radios of the same model and
> firmware, otherwise you will likely have issues on the target radio
> ranging from minor to severe.  But cloning between dissimilar radios is
> probably not the only way to mess up a radio.  And in any case, I am
> only providing the pinout on this particular cable.
>
> I have a few Baofeng UV-82HP radios, and a gaggle of 888s
> walkie-talkies.  When I finally get around to attempting clones (between
> the same models, of course), I will post an update with any unfavorable
> outcome here.

You won't be able to use this cable on a UV-82HP or a BF-888s. Modern
Baofeng radios no longer have the radio-to-radio cloning ability. Back
when the N5R/N82 type of firmware was released for UV-5R/UV82 style
radios, the memory layout was changed> Baofeng removed the
radio-to-radio cloning feature to prevent cloning between incompatible
radios. That's also why the covering radio-to-radio cloning was
removed from the miklor.com website.

The BF-888s never had the radio-to-radio cloning ability.

To use that cable you will need a Baofeng model with an LCD display
manufactured before the end of 2014 that when powered up with the
[MONI] key pressed displays "COPING" or "COPYING".