[chirp_users] Communication Issues with new UV-5R EX

Jim Unroe
Fri Nov 9 12:52:47 PST 2018

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 3:43 PM Rich Freeman <r-chirp at rich0.org> wrote:

> I just purchased a UV-5R EX off of Amazon and am having trouble
> getting it to communicate with CHIRP.  The same hardware/software
> config works just fine with my BF-F8HP.  I get the problem whether I
> select Raddiodity/UV-5R EX or Baofeng/UV-5R.  This is on linux, and I
> have the problem with the latest Mercurial commit as well as 20180906
> and 20181018.  I've also reproduced the problem on Windows, which also
> communicates just fine with the BF-F8HP just fine.  I just unplug the
> one radio from the mic connection and plug in the other and it
> starts/stops working, so I'm pretty certain it isn't a
> driver/permissions/etc issue.  This is with an FTDI-based USB cable.
>
> The radio reports its firmware version (when holding down 3) as
> BFS001.  I couldn't tell you whether this is correct as it isn't
> communicating with CHIRP so I'm not getting more than that.
>
> I also tried fiddling with the baud settings on the serial device in
> linux and it didn't make any difference.
>
> Has anybody run into issues with newer radios?  Is it possible there
> was a firmware change not handled by the software?
>
> I'm happy to debug or test patches/etc if helpful.  The radio is just
> in factory config so I don't really care about losing any settings as
> long as it isn't bricked.
>
> --
> Rich

Hi Rich,

I would be helpful if you would share the exact error message or
attach a debug.log file. Without that information I am going to guess
that the connection between 2-pin plug of the programming cable is not
fully connected to the socket of the radio. This is a common problem
with these radios. No programming software can clone a radio without a
full and working connection between the computer and radio. Sometimes
the workaround can be as simple as pressing on the plug to make the
connection to the socket during the cloning process.