[chirp_users] UV-5R issue

Jim Unroe
Sun May 27 05:18:58 PDT 2018

Gene,

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 11:38 PM, Eugene Baleme via chirp_users
<chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I can't download from my radio. all I get id ERROR2. I am on the right port and have my model selected. Thanks, Gene

It is likely to be one of the following...

1 You are selecting the wrong COM port. Check Device Manager to see
which COM port has been assigned to the programming cable.

2 The device driver installed by CHIRP is not compatibe with the
USB-to-TTL chip in the programming cable. This is common when the
programming cable identifies itself to Windows as having a Prolific
type chip. Nearly 100% of these chips are counterfeit and the driver
(written by the Prolific company and supplied to Microsoft) is
designed to not work with unauthorized copies of their chips. The work
around is to download, install and select an older Prolific device
driver that is not crippled in this way. See this miklor.com web page
for details.

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_Drivers.php

3 The COM port is already in use by another program. This can happen
when you also have another programming software running at the same
time. That happens to me when I have both CHIRP and the factory
software running and I failed to let the factory software close the
port before trying to use CHIRP.

Jim