[chirp_users] New user, and question on diagnosing new radio

Tim Lavoie
Fri May 11 23:29:41 PDT 2018

Hello all,

Call me new to everything - brand new ham (VA7TJL), new Chirp user, and
have a new radio. I've read docs, but please let me know if the questions
are too dumb.

I've picked up a Baofeng DM-5R, V3 as seen here:
https://www.fleetwooddp.com/products/pre-order-baofeng-dm-5r-v3-2018-digital-dmr-dual-band-amateur-ham-radio

It shows up as BF-5R on the boot screen, but neither that nor DM-5R are
listed as supported. I did see though that there are other Baofeng radios
under new and unusual names, that might be supported as a variant of one
that is known. If there is a way to tell if this is the case, I'm open to
suggestions.

The Windows software from the manufacturer does detect and read the config
from the radio, but the USB device (radio with supplied cable) shows up in
settings Win 10 settings as, "MCU MOUSE DEMO", under the "Bluetooth and
other Devices" section. When I try to read from the radio in Chirp, there
is nothing shown under Ports in the drop down. I can select Baofeng as the
vendor, and a number of other models are listed. Similarly, under Linux
(current x64 Mint, based on Ubuntu)
, there is no known port that the software is looking for.

  Ideas?

  Cheers,
  Tim