[chirp_users] TSQL / CTCSS

W Paul Mills
Mon Mar 26 22:15:29 PDT 2018

On 03/25/2018 01:53 PM, Jeff wrote:
> In CHIRP, Tone is what you would set for transmitting to a repeater.
> ToneSql only affects receive, and isn't generally used.

This is not correct see:
<https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/MemoryEditorColumns>

I use ToneSql all the time, as do many others. In a busy metro area, it
is almost a must.

> But regardless of what values those might be set to, it's the Tone Mode
> setting that determines what happens when you're transmitting or
> receiving. If it's set to Tone or None, you'll hear everything on the
> frequency. Otherwise you'll be using that monitor button.
>
> CTCSS stands for Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System, which is what
> you're using whenever there are tones involved during transmit or
> receive. Anything else is just a shorter version of the same, mainly
> because ten syllables is a hassle.
>

> On March 25, 2018 1:14:48 PM UTC, Dennis Wage <dwage at dwage.com> wrote:
>
>     I have no where else to ask this question.
>
>     Is TSQL the same as CTCSS?
>
>     The reason I am so intrigued is about this is
>
>     The other day my UV-5R was in scan mode and a repeater in Huntsville
>     continually stopped my scan with a carrier or tone, not sure which
>     yet. But I heard no audio. No matter where I set the squelch, even
>     to 0 I got no audio. However, if I hit the Moni button I could hear
>     the guys talking.
>
>     What was happening here?
>
>     Thanks in advance.
>
>     In 3 weeks I'll be W9BOQ if the FCC grants my vanity call sign.
>
>     Whiskey Niner Bravo Oscar Quebec.
>     Dennis M. Wage
>
>     245 Corum Hill Road
>     Castalian Springs, TN 37031
>     (615) 310-4242 Cell
>     http://hammondb3organ.net <http://hammondb3organ.net/>
>     http://overdubs.net

* Amateur Radio Station AC0HY                     *
* W. Paul Mills         SN807                     *
* Assistant EC Alpha-1 ARES Shawnee/Wabaunsee, KS *
* President Kaw Valley Amateur Radio Club         *