[chirp_users] chirp_users Digest, Vol 111, Issue 14

Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF
Thu Mar 22 17:56:39 PDT 2018

.CSV, .DOC, .PUB and .PPT definitely are Microsoft proprietary file formats although Microsoft have now given up taking people to court trying to protect them. You're right that they will now open in many different systems (except .PUB) but often with differing results.

If you need to be universal, use Open Document Foundation's file formats.

> On 22 March 2018 at 20:30 Aubrey Turner <aubrey.c.turner at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>     Not to be overly pedantic, but CSV is not a Microsoft-specific format.  CSV stands for "Comma Separated Value" and it's a very simple format.  Lots of software can handle it on all platforms.  I can view them even on my Android phone.
>
>     That said, most Windows systems are set up by default to open a CSV file in Excel, but that doesn't really have bearing on the format itself.
>

>     On 03/22/2018 07:26 PM, Nigel A. Gunn G8IFF/W8IFF wrote:
>
>         > >
> >         But a csv file is proprietary Microsoft format so can't use that. Many of us are not on Microsoft operating systems. And if you make it just like a cellphone, then you're at the mercy of the radio manufacturer to provide the programming.
> >

> >             > > > On 22 March 2018 at 17:28 Brandon Clark <kl7bsc at gmail.com> mailto:kl7bsc at gmail.com wrote:
> > >

> > >             Radios needs to behave like phones, plug them into the computer with a USB cable and then simply drag and drop your CSV file into the right folder for the radio to read it.
> > >
> > >         > >

> >     >

Nigel A. Gunn, 1865 El Camino Drive, Xenia, OH 45385-1115, USA. tel +1 937 825 5032
Amateur Radio G8IFF W8IFF (was KC8NHF 9H3GN), e-mail nigel at ngunn.net www http://www.ngunn.net
Member of ARRL, QRPARCI #11644, SOC #548, Flying Pigs QRP Club International #385,
Dayton ARA #2128, AMSAT-NA LM-1691, GCARES, EAA382.