[chirp_users] chirp accessibility?

Nolan Darilek
Mon Jun 4 11:53:24 PDT 2018

GTK is, unfortunately, not accessible under Windows because there is no
GTK bridge to Microsoft's accessibility APIs.

I can confirm, though, that CHIRP is quite accessible under Linux and
Orca. I'm blind myself, and just a couple months ago submitted a patch
to make Orca speak control labels in the settings screen. With CHIRP and
Orca, I seem to have full access to tweak the settings on my Baofeng
GT-3 without using its mostly inaccessible menu system.

If you'd rather not dedicate a full box to Linux just to run CHIRP
accessibly, it may be possible to get a GNOME/Mate environment running
on a single-board system like the RPi. I'm thinking of making such a
system for programming the radio when away from my laptop.

As an aside, I'm wondering if CHIRP might ever get some sort of
real-time control panel for live mode radios? This would make it plus an
SBC a compelling replacement for devices like the hampod
(http://hampod.com/.) I might take a crack at such a feature someday if
it isn't out of scope. I'm imagining a separate tab alongside channels
and settings for tweaking VFO, reading any exported radio stats, etc. I
think there's a name for this functionality, but I forget what it is. I
want to say CAT?