[chirp_users] I had a driver, then I lost it. (Mac OS issue)

mike-2007 at elp.rr.com
Thu Jul 26 15:12:15 PDT 2018

Dennis.  With due respect, no, I don’t have to do any homework.  Using the USB cables I have, windows update NEVER screws with the cable drivers.  N-E-V-E-R.  I have several different cables, I think three cables for Yaesu and two for Icom, and only one cable for Wouxun.  All cables by RT-Systems.  All the cables use the exact same driver.  The driver is written by RT-Systems specifically for their cables.  Windows does not touch that driver.  As I mentioned earlier, I just moved platforms here, from Win-7 to Win-10.  I downloaded a fresh driver from RT-Systems, and it worked first time I plugged it in.  The only “difficulty” was figuring out which comm-port it was assigned to when I plugged in the various cables.

The cable DRIVER issue is only for those folks who take the route that leads them to the cloned chipset troubles.  And it is up to them to “do their homework”.  Each can decide if their time is worth the frustration and the few $$$$ saved with the cheaper cables.  I don’t need to program my radios often.  When I do, I just want it to work.  I don’t want to find out something broke and now I have to spend time figuring out what broke.  I don’t want to waste time “rolling back” until it works again.  I want to program the radio and get on with my project.  That is worth the extra cost of the cables to me.  That value may not apply to all, and that is fine.  It’s a personal choice after all.

For anyone interested in investigating RT-Systems cables after reading this, sign up for their newsletter.  Periodically they have sales, and you can save a few $$$ buying during the sale.

NOTE:  I have no connection with RT-Systems in any way.  I will not make a penny if you buy 100 cables.  I am just a satisfied customer.  Very satisfied since the Win-10 upgrade went so perfectly with that part of the changeover.  I just want it to work.  And it does.  Every time I plug in a cable - it works.  Looking forward to several years of painless use on Win-10 now.

Vy73 – Mike – KD5KC

El Paso, Texas – DM61rt