[chirp_users] CHIRP: First time SUCCESS!

Chuck Hast
Tue Jul 24 10:14:44 PDT 2018

That is one of the reasons I use Linux, I can get it in any size down to
ittybitty systems
that run on very minimal storage.

Asking MS to pare down Windows, is well I cannot think of a comparison. Now
that they
have monetized the desktop, even less...

You could go in and start yanking the fluff and junk out but you may find
that you have
removed something that some other software depends on.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 6:07 AM Dennis Wage <dwage at dwage.com> wrote:

> I really like 10. But I really wish Windows would make a bare bones
> version of it for users who don't want the fluff.
>

> Dennis M. Wage (W9BOQ)
>
> 245 Corum Hill Road
> Castalian Springs, TN 37031
> (615) 310-4242 Cell
> http://hammondb3organ.net
> http://overdubs.net
>
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 8:30 PM, <mike-2007 at elp.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> DAN.  I just thought you might want a HAPPY message.  I hate upgrades,
>> and software problems always seem to find me.  But when I was dusting out
>> my 8 y/o Win-7 (64 bit) computer I found some swelled caps on the
>> motherboard.  Hardware doesn't scare me, and I have the caps to replace
>> them.  But really, it was time to move up to Win-10.  I am going from a 2.3
>> GHz Duo-Core processor on 2 GB of RAM to a 3.6 GHz Octo-Core processor on
>> 16 GB of Ram, and a 128 MB SSD.  The old 21" monitors are not compatible
>> with the new computer, so I got 2 new 27" monitors.  Quite a move up.
>>
>> THE GOOD NEWS?  I installed the DRIVER for my RT-Systems USB-62 cable.  I
>> installed CHIRP.  I opened CHIRP.  It found my USB-62 cable on Comm-3.  I
>> connected to my FT-817ND and downloaded my memory configuration.  FIRST
>> TRY.  No Win-10 difficulties here.
>>
>> Yeah - the RT-Systems cable wasn't $5.  More like $25.  But the value of
>> it working first time (and every time)?  PRICELESS.  My time is precious
>> too, and worth more than $20 worth of cable savings.
>>
>> On to more software installations.  I am sure something will give me
>> trouble.  But CHIRP and RT-Systems cables will NOT be it.
>>
>> Vy73 - Mike - KD5KC.
>> El Paso, Texas - DM61rt.
>> SOTA W5T-Texas Association Manager.
>> NA-SOTA info is at:  http://na-sota.org/