[chirp_users] ft897

Larry Howell
Mon Jul 23 14:54:38 PDT 2018

I think the device manager only looks at the USB "manufacture ID" value of
the chip in the product, while the driver looks for a particular serial
number sequence or something similar.  The chip manufacturers, like FTDI
and Prolific, are just trying to protect their IP (intellectual property)
so the cloners don't rip them off.  I was an embedded systems and software
engineer for 40 years, retiring last year.  There is a software tool that
FTDI used to have on their website that could be used to check if the
product was using a genuine FTDI or clone chip.  I've had the Linux version
of the tool for many years, so haven't had a reason to see if it's still
available.

Larry AC8YE