[chirp_users] Chirp began ten years ago today...

Barry K
Tue Jul 3 11:32:19 PDT 2018

yes this program has saved a lot of hours
thanks for it

Barry aka  N2NVP, Pass-Pres GCARC, retired Vol Lt 884, CERT, SKYWARN 128A

________________________________
From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com <chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com> on behalf of Norman Sebern <nsebern14 at gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 3, 2018 10:38 AM
To: Discussion of CHIRP
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Chirp began ten years ago today...

Thank YOU.

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018, 7:32 AM Frank <k1hlz at pcicon.net<mailto:k1hlz at pcicon.net>> wrote:
Congratulations on reaching your 10 year milestone with such a great piece of software!
As a fairly new Ham, it's made my life a lot easier.
Thank you!

73s
Frank
K1HLZ

On July 3, 2018 9:24:44 AM EDT, Dan Smith <dsmith at danplanet.com<mailto:dsmith at danplanet.com>> wrote:

Hi all,

I just wanted to share a milestone in the CHIRP project with the community. Ten years ago today, on July 3rd 2008, I made the first commit to the repository which started the chirp project:

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/repository/revisions/31cfb1a376fb

It was just a rough bit of code that could talk to an Icom IC-92AD and I was apparently thinking of calling it "repidr". I do not recall what that was supposed to stand for, but by July 16th I had renamed it to CHIRP:

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/repository/revisions/646c121a847b

By July 19th, I was ready to make something available, which was just able to read and write CSV files, and talk to Icom IC-9x radios and the ID-800H. This was the first version 0.1.1:

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/repository/revisions/1428729c41b7

I still remember the large stack of paper on the corner of my desk where I had written out tons of hex, all in pencil, erased and re-written many times, trying to decode the first few radio memories and looking for patterns to make it easier.

The project has come a long way since then, largely due to the help and involvement of other volunteers and users. While the first release supported two radio models, the latest one supports 228 distinct models, with more if you count the many clones that exist. The users mailing list has a fairly amazing 2892 people subscribed, from all over the world, representing a tiny fraction of the total user base.

So, I just want to thank all the people who have made CHIRP possible and successful. Especially contributors of code, bug reports, and test reports, but also people who have spent hours on this list helping others and being the support system that allows volunteer developers to focus on what they do best. Thanks to anyone who has ever sent a donation, as well as the commercial outfits who have contributed radios and other help. There are too many to name, but BaofengTech, BlueMax49ers, and Jetstream are a few that come to mind as having a substantial impact.

At the end of this email is a very rough list of all the code contributors to the project, extracted from the repository with minimal attempts to squash some duplicates. These are the rock stars that have gotten us to where we are today, so please join me in thanking them for spending their nights and weekends making this project the success that it is today!

--Dan

Commits Contributor
-------|
________________________________