[chirp_users] UV5 cable and drive

William Bates
Wed Jan 31 12:43:42 PST 2018

I purchased one of those cheap cables off of ebay. I plugged it into my Baofeng GT-5 and it distroyed the finals.

Doug
WB4JPG

----- Original Message -----

From: "Shon Edwards" <sre.1966 at gmail.com>
To: "Jardy" <jardy72 at yahoo.com>, "Discussion of CHIRP" <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 2:37:31 PM
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] UV5 cable and drive

Is this the Baofeng UV-5R? I apologize if this has already been brought up before, but I always just use the RT Systems (in Colorado) cable and software. I have bought 25 different sets of cable+s/w for my radios and never a hitch once. I learned my lesson the first time I got a Chinese radio with s/w that was not in English, some of the characters in the path for some of the drivers on the disc provided were hard-coded into Chinese, so it took forever to try to get a "good" driver and cable. I am the poorest of hams and I will tell you that I will ALWAYS go to RT Systems for the cable and software. It's just plug 'n play. It's not worth the time I would spend trying to use old, generic or "fake" stuff to make it work. I realize it's possible that I will only use the software once, but I don't care. Programming a radio manually or with non-standard parts just isn't worth my time. Go ahead and spend the fifty bucks and get the RT Systems equipment unless you love headaches or big challenges: https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/baofeng-uv-5r-radio-programming-software-s/2225.htm .

Good luck!

73 de Shon, K6QT

Shon R. Edwards, MA, AG (Czech Republic)
Amateur call: K6QT
1039 N 2575 W
Layton, UT, 84041-7709
USA