[chirp_users] Using The Accessible USB Image For Chirp With Orca Screenreader

Glenn At Home
Sat Jan 27 09:57:50 PST 2018

I found the link, but the instructions sound more difficult than it needs to be.
I would use the universal USB installer that I'll give a link to, and select the Linux distro of Zorin.
The information page on this is:
http://www.hamradioandvision.com/chirpvi-liveusb-for-blind-hams/
The Universal USB installer is:
https://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/
I think that if the image you will download is an ISO image, I don't know why you cannot burn it to a CD, if it is small enough for a CD.
However, I think the easiest way to do it is to use the Universal USB installer to download Ubuntu Mate at:
https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/
After burning that to DVD or putting it on USB, boot to it and do the following:
control S for screenreader
On some versions, it's alt + windows S  to call up Orca the screenreader.
Otherwise, the Linux run command is:
alt + F2-key.
Then type in:
orca
and press enter.
When Orca is talking:
You tab around like you do in windows.
You get to the desktop with alt + shift + D
The start menu in Ubuntu is alt + F1-key.
You arrow around like in Windows.
Windows has a DOS shell as it is sometimes called, and we look for command prompt in Windows.
Linux has the same thing, called "Terminal".
One way we can get there is with alt + control + T.
If you like DOS, you will like that.
If you get that far, I or others can give you commands for installing Chirp.
HTH.
Glenn