[chirp_users] chirp_users Digest, Vol 109, Issue 2

Dave B
Wed Jan 3 03:16:41 PST 2018

Hi.

Other than for software that just isn't available for anything other
than Windows, there is no reason whatsoever to try to use WINE to run
Chirp under Linux.

Just go to:-  https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download

And follow the instructions how to get the version you need for your OS.

There is even a "Live CD" (bootable self contained system) version!

As well as the ability to run it directly from a "tarball" file once the
contents are extracted.

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Running_Under_Linux

I do have some Windows specific programs that I need to use, that do run
well under WINE, but sadly the DMR codeplug software from Motorola will
not install, as the installer needs .NET version whatever, and the Mono
equivalent tools are not compatible.

All my other radio programming and configuring needs are happily done
via Chirp running natively under Linux.

As to the serial port issue, it's a "symbolic link" that you create,
that in effect redirects references to (for example) COM1: to
/dev/ttyUSB0   Job done.   As you say, instructions are available how to
do that from many sources.

I would also dispute the assumption re the probably low importance of
the handshake lines.  Many radio's use them to enter programming mode,
enable some esoteric mode, and/or exit from such modes.

It is best to use the version of Chirp, that is natively configured for
your OS, rather than try to bludgeon it into working via an abstraction
layer, that can itself impose "other feature" you may not want..

73.

Dave G0WBX.