[chirp_users] USB serial ports and Linux/WINE

Tom Consodine ND5Y
Mon Jan 1 12:02:23 PST 2018

I have no problems using USB serial ports with Windows software running
on Linux/WINE. One of the reasons I switched to Linux was one USB cable
I have would work on Windows 7 but not on Windows 10.

You have to configure the serial port permissions in Linux. There are
instructions for doing that on the Chirp web site.

If you are using WINE 2.8 or later you might have to configure the port
settings in WINE or manually make a "registry" key. There are
instructions for doing that on their web site at

https://wiki.winehq.org/index.php?title=Wine_User%27s_Guide&oldid=2519#Serial_and_Parallel_Ports

Versions before that only require making a link in the wine folder to
the port.

Older versions of WINE before about 1.7 don't support all the RS-232
lines. This probably isn't an issue for radio programming cables that
only use TXD and RXD lines but it is if you need the RTS, CTS, DTR, DSR
lines to work properly.

--
Tom ND5Y