[chirp_users] chirp_users Digest, Vol 108, Issue 19

Dave B
Mon Jan 1 02:46:56 PST 2018

The only info I'd add, is to find out how to prevent your OS from
sleeping an application and also from powering down what it things are
unused USB ports.   I'm not a Mac owner/user, but I hear that "AppNap"
causes *A LOT* of issues.

Also, research and find out how the serial ports are identified on your
particular system, and how to search for those that *Really* exist.
Mac OS's are based on BSD, so there might be some help there.   Find out
how to get to a command line terminal display, and learn the basics of
how to search for and do stuff there.   Just as the rest of us with
other 'Nix related boxes have learnt.

(ls /dev/ttyUSB* for example will list the real existing ports on a
debian/ubuntu based Linux system.)

dave at G0WBX-Dell-System-XPS-L502X ~ $ ls /dev/ttyUSB*
/dev/ttyUSB0  /dev/ttyUSB1  /dev/ttyUSB2  /dev/ttyUSB3

That is on my Linux Mint box, but Mac's / BSD's etc will almost
certainly have something similar.  "|ls /dev/tty.*"|  As one website I
found indicates...  Not having a mac here, I cant test that.

Also, as Randy said, steer clear of clone chip-sets.  ONLY buy stuff
like that from authorised resellers, not eBay.  Disclaimer!  I have had
good genuine stuff from eBay, but I've also had a lot of clone rubbish.
(I did have one chip that was physically marked up with the FTDI logo
and part number etc, but when connected to a computer, it announced
itself as a Prolific chip!  I felt sorry for the seller, who was non
technical, just acting as a re-seller themselves.  We figured out he had
over a thousand fake devices.  He was not happy, but apologised gave me
a full refund without asking, and took the devices back.   For that
alone I gave him good feedback.)

Yes, it'll probably cost more from DigiKey or ???   But you'll know you
have the "Genuine" article, and if it proves otherwise, you can return
it.    "Silicon Labs" (SiLabs) devices are good too.   Linux recognises
them OK, I have no idea regarding Mac OS's.

It has to be said though, that a lot of the current clones are actually
quite functional, unless you want to do something special, like
re-assign the I/O pins, as you are supposed to be able to do with FTDI
parts.   (A useful feature, for radio programming leads.)

Lastly, don't trust pre-made leads from eBay.  Again, I'm sure there are
good ones, but again I've also found via others experiences, that there
is a lot of stuff there is wired wrong, & very wrong at times!   (Mind
you, some of the radio manuals are very misleading in this respect too.)

Best if possible to build your own programming cables.   It's not
difficult at all, it just takes a little time to learn about it, and
build and test etc.   But, in the long term, you can then build/adapt a
cable "on the fly" when needed.

73 and Happy New Year to All of the Chirp team.

Dave G0WBX.