[chirp_users] How to analyse the memory map for a new radio type?

Kalle Tuulos OH1HQZ
Mon Dec 31 00:09:35 PST 2018

Hi Dan

Please, first read this page:
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/DevelopersProcess

I'm currently reverse engineering Yaesu FT-8900's memory map using
following procedure:

  * I'm working this reverse engineering primarily in Ubuntu, as it is
    easiest for me to debug Python there, using the Pycharm IDE.
  * Check out Chirp's repository using Pycharm's own Mercurial support.
  * I have created two spreadsheets for helping this development:
      o First one, where I'm maintaining settings areas as horizontal
        rows and configurations (readouts from device) as vertical
        columns. Sample:
        https://tuulos.org/nxld/index.php/s/5ELcBBKPqFGfZk2 (link valid
        till 14-Jan-2019)
      o Second one, where I'm writing out memory areas, which I have
        reverse engineered, if I'm not writing them directly to Chirp
        memory maps.
  * I'm making small changes to device configuration and creating a new
    vertical column, where I'm documenting the change. Then, I'm reading
    out the memory map from device.
  * I'm converting the memory map dump to text file using standard Linux
    hexdump command. Each vertical column has its own text file.
  * Meld is practical tool to compare those hexdump files. Using that,
    it should be possible to isolate, which memory areas were affected
    by device configuration changes.
  * After finding out, what was changed and how, I'm implementing
    support for those, by expanding the earlier implementation.

This is a pretty time consuming process, but so far, I have been able to
isolate some new device settings/configurations and bring them to Chirp.
Most likely, this will take still at least couple of weeks before I'm
able to publish my changes.

BR,

  Kalle