[chirp_users] Chirp Live CD won't boot

Jim Unroe
Sun Dec 16 13:18:22 PST 2018

On Sat, Dec 15, 2018 at 1:51 PM Carleton Ingerson <maineac58 at outlook.com> wrote:

> I am unable to get Live CD to boot my laptop which has Windows 8.1 for the operating system.
>
> Does anyone have any idea why this is????    I made the cd with the laptop.
>

> Thank you
>

> Carl W1CFY

Carl,

The CHIRP Live CD uses a very old version of Linux that may not be
compatible with modern hardware. You would be better off using a live
version of Ubuntu "burned" to a USB flash drive with unetbootin set to
provide a partition for persistence and then install CHIRP. I've done
this with Linux Mint and it works fine. The thing I didn't like was
the fact that it always had an "Install" shortcut on the desktop that
was just begging for someone to accidentally or intentionally wipe the
hard drive.

Jim