[chirp_users] chirp_users Digest, Vol 116, Issue 2

AC1CX AC1CX at aol.com
Sat Aug 4 12:23:45 PDT 2018


I have recently purchased  a BTech two bander, have several other similar 2M/.70cm HT’s that work great; still not sure if it is programmed correctly on 220, receives local repeat fine but doesn’t seem to open it.  Unfortunately it isn’t used much.   Used CHIRP to program it and it only has CTSS on up.     Also found a Yeasu FT24 HT on sale for under $70 dual band, very nice little radio.   As far as the FCC releases, need to read the attached document apparently sales were stopped in Feb 2018 much later than ordered 

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 4, 2018, at 3:00 PM, chirp_users-request at intrepid.danplanet.com wrote:
> 
> Send chirp_users mailing list submissions to
>    chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>    http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>    chirp_users-request at intrepid.danplanet.com
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
>    chirp_users-owner at intrepid.danplanet.com
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of chirp_users digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>   1. Tri Band Radio (IT1 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR)
>   2. Re: Tri Band Radio (Shon Edwards)
>   3. Re: Tri Band Radio (Jim Unroe)
>   4. Re: Tri Band Radio (bsantucci at aol.com)
>   5. Re: Tri Band Radio (Glenn At Home)
>   6. FCC Cites Baofeng Importer for Illegally Marketing
>      Unauthorized RF Devices (David Ranch)
>   7. Re: Tri Band Radio (Michael Butler)
>   8. Re: Tri Band Radio (Chuck Hast)
>   9. Re: Tri Band Radio (Jardy)
>  10. Re: Tri Band Radio (Jim Unroe)
>  11. Re: Tri Band Radio (mike-2007 at elp.rr.com)
>  12. Re: Tri Band Radio (David Ranch)
>  13. Re: Tri Band Radio (mike-2007 at elp.rr.com)
>  14. Re: Tri Band Radio (Dennis Wage)
>  15. Re: Tri Band Radio (Jim Unroe)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2018 20:09:49 -0400
> From: "IT1 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR" <stuart.tener at bh90210.net>
> Subject: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
> To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
> Message-ID: <20180803200949.Horde.4n1wly1fE-28mTXLcmvrS89 at mgtmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed; DelSp=Yes
> 
> Dan, et alia:
> 
> I am interested in getting an inexpensive HT that is Tri-Band and  
> decent. Now, if anyone is a technical purist about specifications I  
> already realize that any of the sub-$100 HTs are not going to come  
> close to the ICOM 52A or something like that. I am considering to get  
> an HT that is inexpensive and not something I will cry over if I drop  
> it or it gets lost/stolen, whatever. However, with the forgoing in  
> mind, I want to try to pick the best one that I can, so I am curious  
> about everyone's ideas. Moreover, I surely want something that is  
> compatible with Chirp and to get or make the right kind of cable for it.
> 
> The one radio I looked at so far was the BaoFeng UV-5x3 (I own no 220  
> radios, so it'd be fun to have that capability too). I am driving  
> cross country soon and don't have any radios to take with me (they are  
> all in the east coast). Once I get there I will have some ICOM radios  
> (ICOM 5100A and an ID-1 installed).
> 
> Again, I am not out to start a "religious war", just get some opinions  
> from people about (obviously) programmability (keypad and via  
> computer) as well as day to day function and experiences.
> 
> I appreciate in advance everyone's comments.
> 
> 
> 73,
> 
> Stuart, N3GWG
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 18:25:49 -0600
> From: Shon Edwards <sre.1966 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
> To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
> Message-ID:
>    <CAC3=1e-WRpozUA1css73WHLtJgoNMuDrDfO6XeXtk8CE3XDxPA at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> Hello Stuart,
> 
> I have a bunch of tribanders.  I have 7 of the Btech radios you mentioned.
> For the price, that seems to be the best thing to outfit my family with;
> some of the kids are still pretty young and I won't worry about one getting
> broken.  Frankly, I and my 18-year old prefer the Kenwood triband.  It
> works extremely well.  The one big problem is you can break it if you
> breathe on it.  I own 2 of them and have already had 3-$100 repair jobs,
> once by dropping it two feet onto a carpet.  I have a couple of AnyTone
> triband radios.  They only do 4 watts on most of the bands.  they are also
> $200 apiece, so quite a bit for what you get.  I own some Yaesu radios,
> too, a vx-7 and 3 vx-8dr radios.  They do 6M, which is unique and nice,
> since we have some 6m repeaters here.  Also 22 MHz, but at a very reduced
> power.  Yaesu is extremely tough and reliable, but you have the power
> problem on 220.
> 
> So there are pluses and minuses to all of them, and there may be others,
> but these are my radios and how I rate them.  I would probably go with
> Btech.
> 
> Take care, 73 de K6QT Shon
> 
> Shon R. Edwards, MA, AG (Czech Republic)
> Amateur call:  K6QT
> 1039 N 2575 W
> Layton, UT, 84041-7709
> USA
> Home phone:  (801) 444-3445
> E-mail:  sre.1966 at gmail.com
> 
> or
> 
> Shon Edwards
> 715 Strawberry Creek Private Rd.
> Bedford, WY 83112
> Cell:  (307) 248-2104
> 
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 6:09 PM, IT1 Stuart Blake Tener, USNR <
> stuart.tener at bh90210.net> wrote:
> 
>> Dan, et alia:
>> 
>> I am interested in getting an inexpensive HT that is Tri-Band and
>> decent. Now, if anyone is a technical purist about specifications I
>> already realize that any of the sub-$100 HTs are not going to come
>> close to the ICOM 52A or something like that. I am considering to get
>> an HT that is inexpensive and not something I will cry over if I drop
>> it or it gets lost/stolen, whatever. However, with the forgoing in
>> mind, I want to try to pick the best one that I can, so I am curious
>> about everyone's ideas. Moreover, I surely want something that is
>> compatible with Chirp and to get or make the right kind of cable for it.
>> 
>> The one radio I looked at so far was the BaoFeng UV-5x3 (I own no 220
>> radios, so it'd be fun to have that capability too). I am driving
>> cross country soon and don't have any radios to take with me (they are
>> all in the east coast). Once I get there I will have some ICOM radios
>> (ICOM 5100A and an ID-1 installed).
>> 
>> Again, I am not out to start a "religious war", just get some opinions
>> from people about (obviously) programmability (keypad and via
>> computer) as well as day to day function and experiences.
>> 
>> I appreciate in advance everyone's comments.
>> 
>> 
>> 73,
>> 
>> Stuart, N3GWG
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> chirp_users mailing list
>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>> This message was sent to Shon, K6QT at sre.1966 at gmail.com
>> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe@
>> intrepid.danplanet.com
>> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_users/attachments/20180803/0e50940b/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 22:42:24 -0400
> From: Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
> To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
> Message-ID:
>    <CADnO8U7x89XQF6Zwe_pzxsYhaVoLtgJxcMeNfFtu0s3XAHh01Q at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
> 
>> The one radio I looked at so far was the BaoFeng UV-5x3
> 
> Just to be clear, this is a BTech radio manufactured for and sold by
> Baofeng Tech (the radio dealer in the USA). Even though it resembles,
> the UV-5R and other similar Baofeng radio models, it is not made by
> Baofeng (the radio manufacturer in China).
> 
> Jim KC9HI
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 22:46:03 -0400
> From: bsantucci at aol.com
> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
> To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
> Message-ID: <16502d3dd5b-c8a-dce3 at webjas-vaa203.srv.aolmail.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> if anyone has any input to the manufacturer, a great thing to add is a way to password protect the radio from unauth. use. Be great!!
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com>
> To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
> Sent: Fri, Aug 3, 2018 10:44 pm
> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
> 
>> The one radio I looked at so far was the BaoFeng UV-5x3
> 
> Just to be clear, this is a BTech radio manufactured for and sold by
> Baofeng Tech (the radio dealer in the USA). Even though it resembles,
> the UV-5R and other similar Baofeng radio models, it is not made by
> Baofeng (the radio manufacturer in China).
> 
> Jim KC9HI
> _______________________________________________
> chirp_users mailing list
> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
> This message was sent to Bryan Santucci at bsantucci at aol.com
> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_users/attachments/20180803/d59a2477/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 21:55:13 -0500
> From: "Glenn At Home" <GlennErvin at cableone.net>
> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
> To: "Discussion of CHIRP" <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
> Message-ID: <010801d42b9e$919e3a00$7c01a8c0 at NUCPPYH>
> Content-Type: text/plain;    charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> Does anyone know if the menus talk like the UV 5R?
> Thanks
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Jim Unroe" <rock.unroe at gmail.com>
> To: "Discussion of CHIRP" <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
> Sent: Friday, August 03, 2018 9:42 PM
> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
> 
> 
>> The one radio I looked at so far was the BaoFeng UV-5x3
> 
> Just to be clear, this is a BTech radio manufactured for and sold by
> Baofeng Tech (the radio dealer in the USA). Even though it resembles,
> the UV-5R and other similar Baofeng radio models, it is not made by
> Baofeng (the radio manufacturer in China).
> 
> Jim KC9HI
> _______________________________________________
> chirp_users mailing list
> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
> This message was sent to Glenn at glennervin at cableone.net
> To unsubscribe, send an email to 
> chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 19:57:33 -0700
> From: David Ranch <chirp at trinnet.net>
> Subject: [chirp_users] FCC Cites Baofeng Importer for Illegally
>    Marketing Unauthorized RF Devices
> To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
> Message-ID: <830e7494-d3f3-4622-b0df-c033cda078b2 at trinnet.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> Will the FCC start going after other resellers of various Chinese radios 
> that can transmit outside of Part 90 frequencies?
> 
> --David
> KI6ZHD
> 
> 
>    http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-cites-baofeng-importer-for-illegally-marketing-unauthorized-rf-devices
> 
> The FCC has issued a Citation and Order (Citation) to Amcrest 
> Industries, LLC (formerly Foscam Digital Technologies, LLC), an importer 
> and marketer of popular and inexpensive Baofeng hand-held transceivers, 
> alleging that the company violated FCC rules and the Communications Act 
> by illegally marketing unauthorized RF devices.
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_users/attachments/20180803/e7b8dab2/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 7
> Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 19:59:58 -0700
> From: Michael Butler <riobravoxray at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
> To: bsantucci at aol.com,    Discussion of CHIRP
>    <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
> Message-ID:
>    <CAPbtEGO+rAisv0DsKUjMYPGJMhfry-JYxUncNsHBbMAAENMBMA at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> Password protection may be a nice feature, but you may lock others out in
> an emergency situation, and in those cases anyone can use the radio if
> needed in an emergency where the primary operator is incapacitated.
> Something to consider.
> 
> Michael W0MTB
> 
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2018, 7:47 PM Bryan Santucci via chirp_users <
> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> wrote:
> 
>> if anyone has any input to the manufacturer, a great thing to add is a way
>> to password protect the radio from unauth. use. Be great!!
>> 
>> 
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com>
>> To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
>> Sent: Fri, Aug 3, 2018 10:44 pm
>> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
>> 
>>> The one radio I looked at so far was the BaoFeng UV-5x3
>> 
>> Just to be clear, this is a BTech radio manufactured for and sold by
>> Baofeng Tech (the radio dealer in the USA). Even though it resembles,
>> the UV-5R and other similar Baofeng radio models, it is not made by
>> Baofeng (the radio manufacturer in China).
>> 
>> Jim KC9HI
>> _______________________________________________
>> chirp_users mailing list
>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>> This message was sent to Bryan Santucci at bsantucci at aol.com
>> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-
>> unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
>> _______________________________________________
>> chirp_users mailing list
>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>> This message was sent to Michael Butler at riobravoxray at gmail.com
>> To unsubscribe, send an email to
>> chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_users/attachments/20180803/e15e8761/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 8
> Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 09:56:29 -0500
> From: Chuck Hast <kp4djt at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
> To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
> Message-ID:
>    <CAN9xdP-6EeP09W3ve_pib2eTWj5zyyuAKFtfs05s=4axb6vZhA at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> I bought the BaoFeng UV-5x3  to get access to 220 mHz as I do not have a
> radio on that band
> it is great for just traveling around and being able to hit repeaters from
> your hotel room or if
> you have an external antenna on the vehicle you can hook up to it, even as
> a mobile. It is given
> to intermod when you are in high population areas but beyond that the only
> other thing that
> comes to mind is it is a wee bit slow in the RX<>TX transitions, but you
> learn to live with it.
> 
> For the price it is hard to beat, and it you do break it do you do not cry
> too much.
> 
> 
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 10:00 PM Michael Butler <riobravoxray at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> 
>> Password protection may be a nice feature, but you may lock others out in
>> an emergency situation, and in those cases anyone can use the radio if
>> needed in an emergency where the primary operator is incapacitated.
>> Something to consider.
>> 
>> Michael W0MTB
>> 
>> On Fri, Aug 3, 2018, 7:47 PM Bryan Santucci via chirp_users <
>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> wrote:
>> 
>>> if anyone has any input to the manufacturer, a great thing to add is a
>>> way to password protect the radio from unauth. use. Be great!!
>>> 
>>> 
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com>
>>> To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
>>> Sent: Fri, Aug 3, 2018 10:44 pm
>>> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
>>> 
>>>> The one radio I looked at so far was the BaoFeng UV-5x3
>>> 
>>> Just to be clear, this is a BTech radio manufactured for and sold by
>>> Baofeng Tech (the radio dealer in the USA). Even though it resembles,
>>> the UV-5R and other similar Baofeng radio models, it is not made by
>>> Baofeng (the radio manufacturer in China).
>>> 
>>> Jim KC9HI
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> chirp_users mailing list
>>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>>> This message was sent to Bryan Santucci at bsantucci at aol.com
>>> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-
>>> unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> chirp_users mailing list
>>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>>> This message was sent to Michael Butler at riobravoxray at gmail.com
>>> To unsubscribe, send an email to
>>> chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> chirp_users mailing list
>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>> This message was sent to Chuck Hast at kp4djt at gmail.com
>> To unsubscribe, send an email to
>> chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> Chirp + Editcp + MD380Tools on Linux
> Celestial!!!
> Chuck -- KP4DJT
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_users/attachments/20180804/f24a4a91/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 9
> Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 08:08:46 -0700
> From: Jardy <jardy72 at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
> To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
> Message-ID: <7354F74D-A512-44EF-8D82-B4C2B17BE7B9 at yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Wouxun makes the KG-UV8e tri-band not too terribly priced. 
> 
> Jardy Dawson WA7JRD
> Message sent through sub space hailing frequencies using the Universal Translator. 
> 
> 
>> On Aug 4, 2018, at 07:56, Chuck Hast <kp4djt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 
>> I bought the BaoFeng UV-5x3  to get access to 220 mHz as I do not have a radio on that band
>> it is great for just traveling around and being able to hit repeaters from your hotel room or if
>> you have an external antenna on the vehicle you can hook up to it, even as a mobile. It is given
>> to intermod when you are in high population areas but beyond that the only other thing that
>> comes to mind is it is a wee bit slow in the RX<>TX transitions, but you learn to live with it.
>> 
>> For the price it is hard to beat, and it you do break it do you do not cry too much.
>> 
>> 
>>> On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 10:00 PM Michael Butler <riobravoxray at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Password protection may be a nice feature, but you may lock others out in an emergency situation, and in those cases anyone can use the radio if needed in an emergency where the primary operator is incapacitated. Something to consider. 
>>> 
>>> Michael W0MTB
>>> 
>>>> On Fri, Aug 3, 2018, 7:47 PM Bryan Santucci via chirp_users <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> wrote:
>>>> if anyone has any input to the manufacturer, a great thing to add is a way to password protect the radio from unauth. use. Be great!!
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>> From: Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com>
>>>> To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
>>>> Sent: Fri, Aug 3, 2018 10:44 pm
>>>> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
>>>> 
>>>>> The one radio I looked at so far was the BaoFeng UV-5x3
>>>> 
>>>> Just to be clear, this is a BTech radio manufactured for and sold by
>>>> Baofeng Tech (the radio dealer in the USA). Even though it resembles,
>>>> the UV-5R and other similar Baofeng radio models, it is not made by
>>>> Baofeng (the radio manufacturer in China).
>>>> 
>>>> Jim KC9HI
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> chirp_users mailing list
>>>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>>>> This message was sent to Bryan Santucci at bsantucci at aol.com
>>>> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> chirp_users mailing list
>>>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>>>> This message was sent to Michael Butler at riobravoxray at gmail.com
>>>> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> chirp_users mailing list
>>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>>> This message was sent to Chuck Hast at kp4djt at gmail.com
>>> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
>> 
>> 
>> -- 
>> Chirp + Editcp + MD380Tools on Linux
>> Celestial!!!
>> Chuck -- KP4DJT
>> _______________________________________________
>> chirp_users mailing list
>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>> This message was sent to Jardy at jardy72 at yahoo.com
>> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_users/attachments/20180804/52a0e368/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 10
> Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 11:30:55 -0400
> From: Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
> To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
> Message-ID:
>    <CADnO8U6EeiGDTaHTCT8L4u75CeAjNhf6nWAXuGK-EXojLAxQNQ at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
> 
>> I bought the BaoFeng UV-5x3  to get access to 220 mHz as I do not have a
>> radio on that band
> 
> It is a BTech UV-5X3. It is not manufactured by Baofeng. That is why
> you won't find the UV-5X3 listed under the drop-down Vendor list for
> Baofeng. The Vendor BTECH must be selected to find the UV-5X3.
> 
>> comes to mind is it is a wee bit slow in the RX<>TX transitions, but you
>> learn to live with it.
> 
> Have you set menu 35 (STE) and menu 36 (RP-STE) to OFF? In CHIRP it would be...
> 
> Settings -> Basic Settings -> Squelch Tail Eliminate (HT to HT):
> {untick this setting}
> Settings -> Basic Settings -> Squelch Tail Eliminate (repeater):
> {change this setting to Off)
> 
> Jim KC9HI
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 11
> Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 10:10:54 -0600
> From: <mike-2007 at elp.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
> To: "'Jardy'" <jardy72 at yahoo.com>,    "'Discussion of CHIRP'"
>    <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
> Message-ID: <014a01d42c0d$bb137ac0$313a7040$@elp.rr.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> And Wouxun has a pretty clean transmitter too.  I have the 144/440 and the 144/220.  You get what you pay for.  Unfortunately, the folks with the noisy transmitters don?t know it?.. only their neighbors get the negative benefit of the cheap radios.  A spectrum Analyzer shows the real story.  I wish more folks would look at that.
> 
> 
> 
> Vy73 ? Mike ? KD5KC
> 
> El Paso, Texas ? DM61rt
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com <chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com> On Behalf Of Jardy via chirp_users
> Sent: Saturday, August 4, 2018 9:09 AM
> To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
> 
> 
> 
> Wouxun makes the KG-UV8e tri-band not too terribly priced. 
> 
> Jardy Dawson WA7JRD
> 
> Message sent through sub space hailing frequencies using the Universal Translator. 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> On Aug 4, 2018, at 07:56, Chuck Hast <kp4djt at gmail.com <mailto:kp4djt at gmail.com> > wrote:
> 
> I bought the BaoFeng UV-5x3  to get access to 220 mHz as I do not have a radio on that band
> 
> it is great for just traveling around and being able to hit repeaters from your hotel room or if
> 
> you have an external antenna on the vehicle you can hook up to it, even as a mobile. It is given
> 
> to intermod when you are in high population areas but beyond that the only other thing that
> 
> comes to mind is it is a wee bit slow in the RX<>TX transitions, but you learn to live with it.
> 
> 
> 
> For the price it is hard to beat, and it you do break it do you do not cry too much.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 10:00 PM Michael Butler <riobravoxray at gmail.com <mailto:riobravoxray at gmail.com> > wrote:
> 
> Password protection may be a nice feature, but you may lock others out in an emergency situation, and in those cases anyone can use the radio if needed in an emergency where the primary operator is incapacitated. Something to consider. 
> 
> 
> 
> Michael W0MTB
> 
> 
> 
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2018, 7:47 PM Bryan Santucci via chirp_users <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com <mailto:chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> > wrote:
> 
> if anyone has any input to the manufacturer, a great thing to add is a way to password protect the radio from unauth. use. Be great!!
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com <mailto:rock.unroe at gmail.com> >
> To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com <mailto:chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> >
> Sent: Fri, Aug 3, 2018 10:44 pm
> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
> 
>> The one radio I looked at so far was the BaoFeng UV-5x3
> 
> Just to be clear, this is a BTech radio manufactured for and sold by
> Baofeng Tech (the radio dealer in the USA). Even though it resembles,
> the UV-5R and other similar Baofeng radio models, it is not made by
> Baofeng (the radio manufacturer in China).
> 
> Jim KC9HI
> _______________________________________________
> chirp_users mailing list
> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com <mailto:chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> 
> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
> This message was sent to Bryan Santucci at bsantucci at aol.com <mailto:bsantucci at aol.com> 
> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com <mailto:unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> chirp_users mailing list
> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com <mailto:chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> 
> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
> This message was sent to Michael Butler at riobravoxray at gmail.com <mailto:riobravoxray at gmail.com> 
> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com <mailto:chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> chirp_users mailing list
> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com <mailto:chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> 
> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
> This message was sent to Chuck Hast at kp4djt at gmail.com <mailto:kp4djt at gmail.com> 
> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com <mailto:chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> 
> Chirp + Editcp + MD380Tools on Linux
> 
> Celestial!!!
> 
> Chuck -- KP4DJT
> 
> _______________________________________________
> chirp_users mailing list
> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com <mailto:chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> 
> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
> This message was sent to Jardy at jardy72 at yahoo.com <mailto:jardy72 at yahoo.com> 
> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com <mailto:chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com> 
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_users/attachments/20180804/12ddfe12/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 12
> Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 09:26:16 -0700
> From: David Ranch <chirp at trinnet.net>
> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
> To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
> Message-ID: <f227bc11-51a4-e1d0-9533-6012a696d39b at trinnet.net>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1252"
> 
> 
> Yup and here is a good page from K6BEZ showing pictures of the trash 
> some of these radios have been putting out since Dec 2015.  I'm curious 
> if any of the current radios have improved here but I doubt it.
> 
> https://sites.google.com/site/k6bezprojects/ht-harmonic-output-testing
> 
> 
> For a triband radio, the Kenwood TH-F6A is still an amazing little 
> radio.  I haven't experienced the physical fragility issues as reported 
> in this thread but I do know if you plug in a power cable into it's 
> charger port "hot", they are reknown to blow their Li-Ion charger 
> circuit.  Not good.  It's replacement is the D74 which is way more 
> expensive, way more complicated, way more bigger/heavier, etc.  Nice 
> radio though.
> 
> --David
> KI6ZHD
> 
> 
>> On 08/04/2018 09:10 AM, mike-2007 at elp.rr.com wrote:
>> 
>> And Wouxun has a pretty clean transmitter too.  I have the 144/440 and 
>> the 144/220.  You get what you pay for.  Unfortunately, the folks with 
>> the noisy transmitters don?t know it?.. only their neighbors get the 
>> negative benefit of the cheap radios.  A spectrum Analyzer shows the 
>> real story.  I wish more folks would look at that.
>> 
>> Vy73 ? Mike ? KD5KC
>> 
>> El Paso, Texas ? DM61rt
>> 
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_users/attachments/20180804/9a9c9ec5/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 13
> Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 10:46:17 -0600
> From: <mike-2007 at elp.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
> To: "'Discussion of CHIRP'" <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
> Message-ID: <018b01d42c12$abd259f0$03770dd0$@elp.rr.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Heh heh heh - his results are plain enough.  The Wouxuns I tested here
> (144/440 and 144/220) are both plenty good enough.  The "OTHER" cheaper
> radios I tested were clearly in violation.  My son-in-law bought one of the
> "CHEAP BRANDS".  On his birthday I pulled the radio off his belt, tossed it
> in the trash, and handed him his present... a new Wouxun.  Already
> programmed.  Watching his face go from smile to shock to smile - PRICELESS!
> But as I said, it isn't the owner of the cheaper radio that pays for the
> problems.  But there will always be people who value price over everything
> else.  Once long ago I was there too, I was a soldier living right on the
> poverty line, and I would have jumped at the chance of a fully functional
> H/T for peanuts, spectrum be damned.  I spent 15 years as a pollution
> electronics tech on the Mexican Border.  It was the same there.  When you
> are living in poverty, you burn what you can to keep your family warm,
> pollutants be damned.
> 
> 
> 
> What a really Really REALLY wish for is an upgraded Yaesu FT-817, including
> 220, 900 and 1200 MHz.  Man, what I could do with that during the ARRL V/UHF
> contests from my local 3,000 ft +++ mountaintop.  I've managed to win West
> Gulf Div. in the QRP division a couple of times with just 6m-2m-70cm.  I
> would even settle for an FT-918 (or some name) that was all mode on 6m, 4m,
> 2m, 1.25m, 70cm, 33cm and 23cm.  If you are going to dream - ...
> 
> 
> 
> Vy73 - Mike - KD5KC
> 
> El Paso, Texas - DM61rt
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com
> <chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com> On Behalf Of David Ranch
> Sent: Saturday, August 4, 2018 10:26 AM
> To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Yup and here is a good page from K6BEZ showing pictures of the trash some of
> these radios have been putting out since Dec 2015.  I'm curious if any of
> the current radios have improved here but I doubt it.
> 
>   https://sites.google.com/site/k6bezprojects/ht-harmonic-output-testing
> 
> 
> For a triband radio, the Kenwood TH-F6A is still an amazing little radio.  I
> haven't experienced the physical fragility issues as reported in this thread
> but I do know if you plug in a power cable into it's charger port "hot",
> they are reknown to blow their Li-Ion charger circuit.  Not good.  It's
> replacement is the D74 which is way more expensive, way more complicated,
> way more bigger/heavier, etc.  Nice radio though.
> 
> --David
> KI6ZHD
> 
> 
> 
> On 08/04/2018 09:10 AM, mike-2007 at elp.rr.com <mailto:mike-2007 at elp.rr.com>
> wrote:
> 
> And Wouxun has a pretty clean transmitter too.  I have the 144/440 and the
> 144/220.  You get what you pay for.  Unfortunately, the folks with the noisy
> transmitters don't know it... only their neighbors get the negative benefit
> of the cheap radios.  A spectrum Analyzer shows the real story.  I wish more
> folks would look at that.
> 
> 
> 
> Vy73 - Mike - KD5KC
> 
> El Paso, Texas - DM61rt
> 
> 
> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_users/attachments/20180804/0b334183/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 14
> Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 12:04:04 -0500
> From: Dennis Wage <dwage at dwage.com>
> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
> To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
> Message-ID:
>    <CAE1d0624gFUk479aEnspRyrigVNfKZrnqhyJSAu7nS53BH24ng at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
> 
> Jim, this is absolutely a good suggestion. My 3 UV5R's acted very strangely
> with those 2 set to default, which is on. I didn't realize that they got
> turned back on after a total reset. The radios each behaved badly and in
> different ways. Not receiving well was the main one.
> 
> DW
> 
> Dennis M. Wage (W9BOQ)
> 
> 245 Corum Hill Road
> Castalian Springs, TN 37031
> (615) 310-4242 Cell
> (615) 562-5128 Home
> http://hammondb3organ.net
> http://overdubs.net
> 
> On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 10:30 AM, Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com> wrote:
> 
>>> I bought the BaoFeng UV-5x3  to get access to 220 mHz as I do not have a
>>> radio on that band
>> 
>> It is a BTech UV-5X3. It is not manufactured by Baofeng. That is why
>> you won't find the UV-5X3 listed under the drop-down Vendor list for
>> Baofeng. The Vendor BTECH must be selected to find the UV-5X3.
>> 
>>> comes to mind is it is a wee bit slow in the RX<>TX transitions, but you
>>> learn to live with it.
>> 
>> Have you set menu 35 (STE) and menu 36 (RP-STE) to OFF? In CHIRP it would
>> be...
>> 
>> Settings -> Basic Settings -> Squelch Tail Eliminate (HT to HT):
>> {untick this setting}
>> Settings -> Basic Settings -> Squelch Tail Eliminate (repeater):
>> {change this setting to Off)
>> 
>> Jim KC9HI
>> _______________________________________________
>> chirp_users mailing list
>> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
>> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
>> This message was sent to Dennis Wage at dwage at dwage.com
>> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe@
>> intrepid.danplanet.com
>> 
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_users/attachments/20180804/47ed06e5/attachment-0001.html 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 15
> Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2018 14:50:46 -0400
> From: Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Tri Band Radio
> To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
> Message-ID:
>    <CADnO8U6dLDppO0VQdj_JOM=4KfseiovsBPnLf010fy-XkRbYhg at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
> 
>> On Sat, Aug 4, 2018 at 1:04 PM, Dennis Wage <dwage at dwage.com> wrote:
>> Jim, this is absolutely a good suggestion. My 3 UV5R's acted very strangely
>> with those 2 set to default, which is on. I didn't realize that they got
>> turned back on after a total reset. The radios each behaved badly and in
>> different ways. Not receiving well was the main one.
>> 
>> DW
>> 
> 
> Yep. Unfortunately the factory delivered settings and the RESET
> settings are not the same (for example a factory new UV-5R speaks
> English but is set to Chinese after a reset). That's why I always
> recommend that the first thing done after purchasing a new  CHIRP
> supported radio is to download an image of the radio's "factory" state
> and save it, unedited, to a CHIRP Radio Images (*.img) to be kept in a
> safe place as a backup.
> 
> Jim KC9HI
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> chirp_users mailing list
> chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/mailman/listinfo/chirp_users
> To unsubscribe, send an email to chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com
> 
> End of chirp_users Digest, Vol 116, Issue 2
> *******************************************




More information about the chirp_users mailing list