[chirp_users] Tri Band Radio

mike-2007 at elp.rr.com
Sat Aug 4 09:46:17 PDT 2018

Heh heh heh - his results are plain enough.  The Wouxuns I tested here
(144/440 and 144/220) are both plenty good enough.  The "OTHER" cheaper
radios I tested were clearly in violation.  My son-in-law bought one of the
"CHEAP BRANDS".  On his birthday I pulled the radio off his belt, tossed it
in the trash, and handed him his present... a new Wouxun.  Already
programmed.  Watching his face go from smile to shock to smile - PRICELESS!
But as I said, it isn't the owner of the cheaper radio that pays for the
problems.  But there will always be people who value price over everything
else.  Once long ago I was there too, I was a soldier living right on the
poverty line, and I would have jumped at the chance of a fully functional
H/T for peanuts, spectrum be damned.  I spent 15 years as a pollution
electronics tech on the Mexican Border.  It was the same there.  When you
are living in poverty, you burn what you can to keep your family warm,
pollutants be damned.

What a really Really REALLY wish for is an upgraded Yaesu FT-817, including
220, 900 and 1200 MHz.  Man, what I could do with that during the ARRL V/UHF
contests from my local 3,000 ft +++ mountaintop.  I've managed to win West
Gulf Div. in the QRP division a couple of times with just 6m-2m-70cm.  I
would even settle for an FT-918 (or some name) that was all mode on 6m, 4m,
2m, 1.25m, 70cm, 33cm and 23cm.  If you are going to dream - ...

Vy73 - Mike - KD5KC

El Paso, Texas - DM61rt