[chirp_users] Baofeng uv-5r doesn't upload channel names

kc2ote
Tue Sep 26 06:41:08 PDT 2017

I've tried setting it using the keypad as well as changing it in CHIRP. Does it need to be the same in both (radio and software) before I start?
Also, if it's uploading the names, why do the names not come back into CHIRP on a subsequent download from the radio?
One more question, I have the 97 firmware on the radio so would it possibly not load / display any names if some are 7 characters? CHIRP supports 7 but as I understand it the newer firmware only allows 6.
Thanks.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com> Date: 9/25/17  21:27  (GMT-05:00) To: Discussion of CHIRP <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Baofeng uv-5r doesn't upload channel names
On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 4:44 PM, kc2ote <kc2ote at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to the UV-5R and CHIRP and am having a problem that I hope is an
> easy fix. I was able to download from the radio and everything seems fine. I
> added names to the previously saved channels and added a ton of channels
> from the included files. When  I uploaded the configuration to the radio,
> the channel names do not display. When  I download the new configuration
> from the radio, the channel names were not present.
>
> So it's definitely not sending the channel names to the radio. I have
> channel A set to display names and I have tried with B set to names or
> frequency but it doesn't change the outcome.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you

If CHIRP is uploading the additional channels, it is uploading the
names. Did you happen to set the Memory Display Format using the
keypad. It would seem to me CHIRP is not set to the same values and is
therefor changing the values (as it should).

Look at these CHIRP settings...

Settings -> Basic Settings -> Display Mode (A):
Settings -> Basic Settings -> Display Mode (B):

Jim