[chirp_users] CHIRP App on Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6

Lee Davis
Wed Sep 13 19:49:50 PDT 2017

I'm a newbie...
Just bought a BaoFeng BF-F8HP Two Way Radio and working on my Tech License.
Reading some reviews before I bought it mentioned that the CHIRP/App and
Programming cable wasn't working yet.
So I held off on buying the Programming cable.

Then after researching a bit more I found this:

Application Security in 10.12+

As of 10.12 (Sierra) the UI for disabling app security was removed. The
functionality is still there, but must be enabled from the command line.
To whitelist a single application (like an unzipped chirp-daily.app):

   1. unzip chirp.zip
   2. control click on the unzipped application and select New Terminal at
   Folder. (Don't see that menu item? Instructions to enable it
   <https://lifehacker.com/launch-an-os-x-terminal-window-from-a-specific-folder-1466745514>
   )
   3. run this command in the newly opened terminal window:

   spctl --add $PWD

Alternately, you can disable them for your entire system, although this has
security implications that should not be ignored. Run this command in a
terminal:

sudo spctl --master-enable

If I do the above will it work?

If so... then I'll buy the Programming cable.

Again... I'm new at this.

Any tips on running the CHIRP App/CD and Programming cable with my above
listed Mac OS?