[chirp_users] Error

Jim Unroe
Sun Sep 3 05:12:13 PDT 2017

On Sun, Sep 3, 2017 at 7:26 AM, Mark Miller <markmiller196633 at icloud.com> wrote:
> Hello Chirp, I recently attempted to install the driver for OS X. It
> installed correctly to the best of my knowledge. I then installed Python
> Runtime, then Chirp. I can launch Chirp, but when I try to download an
> image, I receive an error report. I speculate that it is due to the cable
> driver. The error reads: Radio did not respond. Do you have any suggestions?
> The installation was on an iMac. Your assistance would be appreciated!
> Sincerely,

The most likely cause is an incompatible driver is installed. This
usually happens when the programming cable is manufactured with a
counterfeit Prolific USB-to-Serial chip (most non-FTDI chip based
programming cables). The latest driver available from Prolific is
intentionally incompatible with unauthorized copies of their chips.
The easiest workaround is to get a programming cable with an FTDI
chip.

The next most likely cause is the programming cable is not fully
connected with the socket of the radio. This is most common with
Baofeng type radios (especially those with the GT style cases).
Sometimes all it take is pressure on the plug while the cloning
process takes place. Other times the shell of the plug needs to be
modified to reduce the interference that is not allowing the plug to
be fully engaged with the radio.