[chirp_users] BAOFENG UV5R - Imaging

Jim Unroe
Wed Nov 22 08:34:56 PST 2017

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Angelo Marcone <ik8vrqcb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just to understand: is the image linked to firmware version only or it
> depends from rig to rig as well ?
>
> 73 de Angelo IK8VRQ

The "image" is just a dump of the memory from the radio. But because
the memory layout can change in some Baofeng models (as it did when
BFB291 was released and again when the N5R style firmware was
released) images saved from one model may not be fully compatible with
the same model having a different firmware version. When dealing with
Baofeng style radios, the firmware version is only used to help detect
which model of radio the image came from and to help prevent uploading
an image into a radio that it is not compatible with.

I don't exactly understand what you mean by "rig to rig" but you can't
directly upload an image saved from a Baofeng UV-5R into a Baofeng
UV-82 or BTech UV-25X2 or a Wouxun KG-UV6D. You can, however, import
an image from one radio vendor/model to a tab created from different
vendor/model radio. I use the image from my UV-5R as the "master"
image that I import into nearly all the other CHIRP supported radios
that I have.