[chirp_users] Baofeng UV5R Flashing

Jim Unroe
Wed Nov 22 06:56:35 PST 2017

On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 10:25 AM,  <va7iq at geeksonradios.com> wrote:
> I have several UV5R's and am starting to wonder how the flashing
> algorithm works. This is due to odd behaviors that I "think" I am
> seeing.
>
> When flashing, is the total memory replaced included in-factory
> configuration elements?

That depends. If the firmware version of the image being uploaded and
the radio that it is being uploaded to are both known and both exactly
match, then the full image is uploaded to the radio.

If the firmware version of either is unknown or the firmware versions
don't match, then only a partial upload occurs.

> The reason I ask is that I bought a new unit which was serving for data
> aok, then after flashing an image (including channels) from another
> device, it seemed to degrade performance.

Degraded in what way?

> The purpose of my question is to clarify whether I need to flash units
> only with their native image updated with data since factory parameters
> may be impacted by using another image as a baseline.

That is where I would start. I always make and save a "factory" image
of all of my CHIRP supported radios as soon as I attach the battery
for the first time a before pressing any buttons and turning any
knobs.

> Thanks, Don VA7IQ / AE7UP

Jim