[chirp_users] Baofeng UV5R Flashing

va7iq at geeksonradios.com
Tue Nov 21 22:36:04 PST 2017

Thanks for the update of flashing protocols for the UV5R.

Sadly I did not pick up on any WARNINGS pertaining to this requirement
in the various dialogues when running the cloning sequences. And, to
boot, I didn't save an original copy of the image either (dumb, it was
recommended).

Now I've have 4 UV5R's all literally cloned to be the same, and possibly
not operating optimally as I have observed failure to break squealch and
low power output on the latest 2 I've done. From what I'm guessing, only
1 of them has a proper flash image, and that is probably the first one I
did.

No idea if this situation is recoverable, but it doesn't sound good.

The concept of what "cloning" means needs better clarification. In some,
programming software clones the configuration. In these Baofeng's with
CHIRP, it sounds like it is a memory download from the HT, patch to
retrieve/stuff values, then upload to the HT. If you change the baseline
image, lots of stuff gets messed up, and no "reset all" will fix it.

Wonder how many others have been bitten by this, wanting to have their
pair of HT's configured the same.

Any recovery suggestions most welcomed.

Thanks, and 73, Don