[chirp_users] followed up with Apple on "More on MacOS 10.13.1 breaks FTDI drivers."

James Gustanski
Sun Nov 19 13:20:42 PST 2017

I contacted Apple support on this issue and shared the error log from Chirp via Terminal. Nice
support people but the prognosis is not good.  They did write up a case, but suggested since this impacts a
3rd party app that Chirp should make a change to pick up the “missing/lost” compression functionality.
If there are others who upgrade to MacOS 10.13.1 and see the same error sequences, reporting such would
possibly move the issue up in priority.  Let me know.  I’ll share the case number, but i would caution that
unnecessarily pinging them without cause, will not help us.
Thanks
Jim KJ6TRT

The compression errors suggest Apple has discontinued a compression scheme.  If that’s right then it makes things a bit awkward

Wenlock

Sent from my iPhone

I too am having trouble since migrating to the latest MacOS.
When I initiate an Upload from Chirp to my Yaesu VX6-R
 (note: I placed a mirror so I could watch the lights on the cable usb connector.)
 I get both the red and green lights lit simultaneously.  They remain lit for a short while
and the chirp progress screen shows a few blocks before the lights stop; the chirp progress screen continues
for a couple of seconds; but ERROR has already popped up on the vx6r screen  displayed on the
vx6r.  So, I turned to Terminal to look for error output. Below is what came up.
Can someone interpret this error stream and provide some guidance on how to proceed?
I carefully installed both the latest Chirp for MacOS and the latest Python.  I last used
Chirp successfully in Dec 2016.  At that time all went smoothly with no hitches.  I recognize that MacOS changed a couple of times
as well as Chirp and the rest.
Thanks
Jim KJ6TRT

Last login: Sat Nov 18 16:04:06 on console
James-804:~ jamesgustanski$ /Applications/chirp-daily-20171104\ 12.02.03\ PM.app/Contents/MacOS/chirp
ln: /Applications/chirp-daily-20171104 12.02.03 PM.app/Contents/MacOS/../CHIRP: File exists
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:50: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.1.1/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
WARNING: Icon  not found
/Applications/chirp-daily-20171104 12.02.03 PM.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/chirp/chirpw:132: PangoWarning: couldn't load font ".SF NS Text 12", falling back to "Sans 12", expect ugly output.
  a.show()
/Applications/chirp-daily-20171104 12.02.03 PM.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/chirp/chirpw:132: PangoWarning: error opening config file '../Resources/etc/pango/pangorc': No such file or directory

  a.show()
/Applications/chirp-daily-20171104 12.02.03 PM.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/chirp/chirpw:132: PangoWarning: couldn't load font ".SF NS Text Not-Rotated 12", falling back to "Sans Not-Rotated 12", expect ugly output.
  a.show()