[chirp_users] 2. Baofeng UV-5R Just transmits when connected to computer

Jim Unroe
Wed Nov 8 14:38:33 PST 2017

On Wed, Nov 8, 2017 at 12:05 PM, 731kdb <731kdb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Tried adding myself to the dial out. I have also used this cable before
> successfully so I don't think it's a cable issue. I can turn on the radio
> with the cable plugged into the radio and disconnected from the computer and
> it doesn't transmit. Still having the same problem after trying all the
> solutions. Is there any other possibilities?
>
> Thanks.

I had a cable like that once (genuine Prolific chip) and it eventually
quit. But until that happens for you, as simple workaround is to set
TOT to it's lowest value. The the radio will only transmit for 15
seconds and timeout. Then download from the radio into CHIRP, program
a channel that has TX inhibited (Duplex = "off"). You can then set TOT
back to its original value and from now on select the TX inhibited
channel whenever you are going to program your radio.

Jim