[chirp_users] BaoFeng BF-F9V2+ issues downloading/uploading to MacBook Pro running 10.12

Jim Unroe
Tue May 30 02:16:37 PDT 2017

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 10:22 PM, Jeff Davis <kf5hqe.jeff at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I’m running a MacBook Pro using OS 10.12.5.  I’ve received three different radios along with USB to BaoFang connection cables.
>
> When I open Chrip, the Mac OS systems report shows the USB port and the device so the Mac Sees it.
>
> But when I run the Radio/Download from Radio command, I get the
>
> Any ideas?  I’ve tried all three cables and tried it with this radio as well as two UV-5R’s, same results.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Jeff Davis
> KF5HQE

You don't have a working connection between the radio and computer.
This is most likely caused by your programming cable is manufactured
with a counterfeit Prolific chip (nearly 100% of the Proliric type
chips in programming cables are counterfeit). The Prolific written
drivers since about 2008 have been intentionally incompatible with
these counterfeit chips.

Windows user can download, install and select an older driver (from
2007) that was available before Prolific decided to do something about
the unauthorized copies of their chips. This workaround isn't
available for a Mac.

I've read where this third party device driver has solved the issue
from some Mac users.

https://www.mac-usb-serial.com/

Switching to a programming cable with an FTDI chip is and even better
solution because it will work with the native Apple FTDI driver. Here
is one of many sources for such a programming cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUB0ONK/

Jim