[chirp_users] Pofung UV-6R

Doc Stevens
Thu Mar 30 07:53:46 PDT 2017

I have a Baofeng HT, probably made in same factory as the Profung.  A lot of issues with program cables for all these units.  I purchased mine from Baofeng, no "Chinese" knock off, and worked right out of the package.  My HT is great, easy to program, versatile, and fun.  Hope you enjoy yours.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Joseph. D. Meaux, Jr.
  To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
  Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2017 10:42 AM
  Subject: [chirp_users] Pofung UV-6R

  As I was just getting restarted into Amateur Radio after 40 years, i decided to purchase a Baofeng UV-5 on Amazon. However, thinking I would be doing better by getting a newer model, I purchased a Pofung UV-6R. Nice little radio  for 2M/70cm. However, it had one of the worst manuals I have seen; no explanations of specific items in the menus nor explanations of adjustments.

  I ordered an adapter cable and downloaded Chirp figuring I could do most of my adjustments in memory via software. I used the forums and read everything I could about the Baofeng. The one thing I kept running across was that several people had to conncet and reconnect the cable to their computer to get Chirp to recognize the radio. Okay, that was something to remember.

  I received my OEM cable in the mail and tried to use it. My computer would not recognize the radio.  Was it Chirp or was it the cable? I did some research about the cable and learned that occasionally an error was made in manufacturing when soldering the usb modal. The receive and transmit wires were soldered backwards.

  A fairly quick solution was to open the usb connector and properly resolder the wires. Eureka, its alive. Once I connected the cable back into my computer, Chirp recognized the radio and I was up and running.
  --

  jdmeaux

  Moe K2JDM