[chirp_users] Jingtong JT-5988HP

Jim Unroe
Thu Mar 30 02:40:14 PDT 2017

On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 11:33 PM, Shon Edwards <sre.1966 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I haven't used the site for several years and can't remember how to
> find whether Chirp works for a specific radio, in this instance a Jingtong
> JT-5988HP, a 12 W dual band HT, which I have a cable for, but have talked
> several times with the company and they seem to be telling me if I don't
> have Windows 7 or earlier, it won't work.
>
> Does anyone have any experience concerning this radio?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer!
>
> 73 de K6QT, Shon

The CHIRP home/wiki page has an extensive list of "Supported Radio
Models". If you visit the CHIRP website and somehow don't land on the
home page (chirp.danplanet.com), then click the "Wiki" tab. I want to
say "you can't miss it", but for some reason many people do.

The programming cable itself is hardware and does not care which
operating system you are using. It is the device driver that
interfaces between the USB-to-Serial (UART) chip in the programming
cable and the operating system that must be compatible with both.

In the case where a programming cable contains a Prolific type UART,
the device driver that is automatically installed by Windows (for
nearly 10 years) is intentionally incompatible with counterfeit chips.
If the driver on the CD supplied will work with Windows 7, it will
work with Windows 10. It just has to be a Prolific device driver with
a version of v3.3.2.105 or before. But I recommend that you ignore the
driver CD provided by the vendor and get the Prolific v3.2.0.0 device
driver from a link on the miklor.com website. Then follow the guide to
get it installed. This Windows Vista device driver from 2007 will work
with both counterfeit and genuine Prolific UART chips from Windows
Vista through Windows 10. You need v2.0.2.1 for Windows XP.

Jim