[chirp_users] Chirp as a "portable app".

Eugene
Thu Mar 23 12:31:59 PDT 2017

On 03/23/2017 11:08 AM, Jim Unroe wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Nigel A. Gunn  G8IFF/W8IFF
> <nigel at ngunn.net> wrote:
>> Anybody else realised that Chirp is already a "portable app".
> I take advantage of it all the time. It allows me to easily go back in
> history to test older versions of CHIRP.
>
>> The windows version can be installed to a thumb drive (put it in it's own directory). The only thing it will write to your Windows drive is a dummy start menu entry. Run it by clicking on Chirp/chirpw.exe .
> I use the "ZIP" version instead of the "EXE" installer version.
>
>> For Linux, unpack the archive into it's own directory. Go to that directory. Execute by double clicking share/chirp.desktop and select "Launch Anyway". At least on my computer.
> The Windows "ZIP" version works exactly the same way.
>
>> I noticed someone raised this as a query on the website and the question was misunderstood by the developer who replied.
> Most of the time when someone asks about a "portable" version, they
> are asking for a version to run on an Android laptop or phone.
>
> Jim KC9HI

I've seen portable app usually refers to http://portableapps.com/ or
similar.

I would think though when your trying to use a portable app, you
wouldn't be able to roll back or install windows drivers so it wouldn't
be of a lot of use.

Better to use a live linux distro or raspberry pi.