[chirp_users] Puxing PX-888

Chuck Hast
Thu Jun 8 07:31:01 PDT 2017

Right now it is like every manufacturer uses different gage rails so you
have to
have a set of rails for every sized railroad running. At least road
vehicles all use
about the same width road base so they can (for the most) part use the
about the
same width roadway regardless of location. I view the cable and connector
inter-
face as being the point to start. Then chip away at the next level. At
least if they
all used the same sort of cable (usb would be excellent) that would be a
great
starter.

That was the way things were with cellular radios (it is a radio regardless
of the
bling) now they are all USB (except for good old Apple, but even they have
kept
the same connectors so it is not a "connector of the day" type thing)

I look at most of the issues here on the Chirp list and they appear to be
centered
around the USB to serial converter on windows, never see if on Linux.

The other one being the failure to download the initial format from the
radio and
work from there.

Beyond that appears that in most cases if the radio can be read and you can
download the original data out of the radio the whole thing appears to fly.

I am having issues with the Icom ID-5100, Albert is giving me a hand on
that, I
am suspecting that the issue is with the upgrade to ver 1.2 firmware, at
that point
all old ICS files and indeed the Icom software had to be tossed and new
software
pulled from Icom, then read your radio and press on.

At this point I personally would just like to see a common physical
interface as
a starter, that would be a win.