[chirp_users] totally confused

Tom Hayward
Sat Jul 29 17:03:42 PDT 2017

Short version: The PPA is designed to be used from a computer that has
internet access. Entering the commands given on
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download will ensure
your system always has the latest version of Chirp installed.

Long version: Linux distributions use package manager software to
handle the installation, updates, and removal of software. A package
manager gets information about software and versions are available
from repositories. Ubuntu comes with a number of official repositories
for officially-maintained software. For software not maintained by
Canonical, like Chirp, PPAs are offered. PPAs are third-party
repositories. When you install the Chirp PPA, it just tells your
system what the latest version of Chirp is and where to download it.
Then when you run a normal software update in your package manager,
you'll get the latest version of Chirp. Of course you need the
internet for this to work*.

* Technically you could use methods other than the internet to
transfer the repository cache, but let's not go there.

Focus on getting your internet access working. That will make
everything else much easier. If you can't get wifi working, try an
ethernet cable. There's a lot less to go wrong that way.

Once you get your internet working the commands at
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Download will work for
you.

Tom KD7LXL